Thread: Reputable used machine sellers

Reputable used machine sellers

I don't have much experience buying used machinery and was hoping that the collective mind might be able to point me in the right direction with regards to reputable dealers. I am located in the Mid-west and am primarily interested in used manufacturing equipment - sliders, shapers, molders, cnc, etc. A quick internet search turns up a good number of dealers but I have no experience with any of them. Any group to keep an eye open for? Any to avoid? Thanks all!

Chris

you are on your own for the most part. Few stand up for you. The odd time yes but any battles ive had it was me standing up to it. Most incompetent people ive dealt with are schools. Yesterday a millwright told me stories one he was called to a school planer smoking when he opened it up there were no knives in it. We are doomed. the stories continued.

buying used is a full time job. you have to put time into it ongoing and all the time. You need to buy ahead not when you need it. Doing it again I never would have bought the new machines I did at the start but on the positive have a deeper appreciation for the grown ups stuff I have now.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-11-2023 at 1:18 PM.

I have bought several machines from ebay. The seller ratings and PayPal assurance are helpful.

Most wood working tools ship okay but tall ones can tip over and break stuff. Bandsaws, lathes, and drill presses are the worst. Many get tables broken off by poor lifting or shipping.
    Bill D

There is some kind of business in Dekalb that sells on Facebook Marketplace, but is pretty pricey. I've had no interaction with them. With a little Google search, I think it's called Pleasant Greet Machinery.

Thanks all.

Chris

It might be worth your while contacting an independent machine technician in your area. They get around and probably work on and hear about all sorts of used equipment and might be able to point you towards a good dealer or even have the inside skinny on machines in service that may be coming up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    There is some kind of business in Dekalb that sells on Facebook Marketplace, but is pretty pricey. I've had no interaction with them. With a little Google search, I think it's called Pleasant Greet Machinery.
    That’s Pleasant Street Machinery, Ben Rock is the proprietor, I’ve never had dealings with him but he has a very solid reputation.

You are much better off buying a used machine directly from the owner. Would you rather buy a used car from its original owner or a used car salesman?

You get experience only by the doing. Learn first about the machines you're looking for. Do your own due diligence.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I've had good experience buying new and used equipment from Edward B Mueller in Cincinnati. (Not sure if that's the midwest you're referring too) I think you're best off dealing with the used equipment in person, with the owner, since even the most reputable dealer is a middle man, and doesn't necessarily know everything about what they're selling. Also the middle-men take a cut.

there are no rules for how it works, had bad resuits from owners that dont know diddy and good results from a phone call know of some machines for sale im buying them do you want to look at them, yes please and still great price for what they were after he flipped them to me. Cars the same some owners are liars my ebay car 1000 miles away asked twice still got there and knew the brakes were toast when he picked me up airport. machines from the old guys pay what they want still the best overall plus a continuous connection to them. Wives happy they are still in use and with a friend. Some shops do good maintenance one shop mostly Italians and Italian machines clipboard on each machine last service. Thats a good sign one of the shapers maybe 30 years old at the time maybe more, long spindle turned like silk.

Buying a machine from Ebay might not be that risky, but read carefully on shipping terms. Any seller that requires you to arrange shipping is a high risk purchase. Shippers DO NOT know how to crate or palletize heavy machinery for transport and they may not have good secure moving mechanisms. Also, shipping insurance does not necessarily exist. There are many horror stories of machinery falling off trucks and at that point you may have just lost $$$. This is especially critical when shipping across state lines because you will need to file lawsuits in several areas and this may not result in anything.

I would not try moving heavy machinery unless you are there at pickup and are dealing with experienced riggers (this can be extremely expensive in the 1-3 thousand dollar range). Doing a shipping cost in the $200-400 range is high risk.

picked up all my machines other than two that the friend who flipped to me he delivered, wired them in the driveway on his trailer first to see if they ran. nothing off ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    you are on your own for the most part. Few stand up for you. The odd time yes but any battles ive had it was me standing up to it. Most incompetent people ive dealt with are schools. Yesterday a millwright told me stories one he was called to a school planer smoking when he opened it up there were no knives in it. We are doomed. the stories continued.

buying used is a full time job. you have to put time into it ongoing and all the time. You need to buy ahead not when you need it. Doing it again I never would have bought the new machines I did at the start but on the positive have a deeper appreciation for the grown ups stuff I have now.
    This doesn't surprise me at all. When I was in high school, students would send books through the planer or set it to cut way too much at a time to create thunderous noise and perhaps a smoke show. Don't know about now, but back then most of the losers who hadn't yet dropped out of school ended up in wood shop and were there only to goof off. The instructor was a clueless old man. One of my classmates turned a Billy club on the lathe. The instructor said he couldn't take it out of the shop because it was a weapon. My classmate brought in a cueball, drilled a hole in it and attached it to the club; thus making it twice as lethal. He told the instructor it was now a "walking cane" and the instructor said that was fine.

Find the episode of Beavis and Butthead where they are in wood shop and you will get the idea.