Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally Got These G&G Style Lights Finished

Blog Entries
    Kris, how did you cut the glass and was there much breakage? I've had horrible luck using hardware store glass cutter but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly -any suggestions?

THANKS!! Again great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Kris, how did you cut the glass and was there much breakage? I've had horrible luck using hardware store glass cutter but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly -any suggestions?

THANKS!! Again great job!!
    Mike - honestly, cutting the glass was the most difficult part of the project. I made some bonehead mistakes and wasted some expensive glass. I bought a Toyo hand-held cutter that has an oil reservoir in the handle and it worked pretty good once I got past the learning curve.

A couple of things I learned:

- This may seem obvious but start the cut at one edge and don't stop until you get to the other edge

- I was using too much pressure initially and once I eased up on the pressure I had much better results

- Did a lot of research online to see what I could do to improve the "breaking" after scoring. The best results I had were laying a straight piece of lumber under the glass at the score line and dropping the sheet from 3 or 4 inches.

The glass I used is "fusible" glass and likely is more difficult to work with than hardware store glass.

Good Luck.
    Regards,

Kris