Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hard maple purchase

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Next is a trip to Hearne for 4/4 rough and a bunch of milling.
    See what Willard Bros (Trenton NJ) and Bucks County Hardwoods (Doylestown/Danboro PA) can do for you first...much closer. I go to Hearne for really special stuff, but for domestic common species, I have trouble justifying the travel. It's an hour and a half for me to Hearne. Then again, going to Hearne is a treat...an expensive treat 'cause you always see things you just HAVE to have. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

got sent to several mills past in the us think hearne was one few of them had the logs all in sequence and you buy the whole thing. Another put me on the line boards passing to pick what I wanted then shipped up here to my lumber company.

Its about an hour and a half ride from your location but Castner's in Stillwater is a great mill. Giant place but cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    See what Willard Bros (Trenton NJ) and Bucks County Hardwoods (Doylestown/Danboro PA) can do for you first...much closer. I go to Hearne for really special stuff, but for domestic common species, I have trouble justifying the travel. It's an hour and a half for me to Hearne. Then again, going to Hearne is a treat...an expensive treat 'cause you always see things you just HAVE to have. LOL

I have been unhappy with Willard brothers even though its 20 minutes away. There pricing is very high and wood isnt as nice as Hearne. My trips to Hearne have always been good Its a great trip early on a Saturday morning. Boards and beams in north Jersey is my backup. Boards and beams has been good to me. When I do go I buy in quantity so they give account pricing.

I have another week of boxes then Ill need that maple So ill probably make the run next week. Ill call in advance to see make sure its available.

Im a little scared of the smaller mills after a 2 bad stops without a meter. Promised they were dry only to find when I got home they were high and checked like crazy in the garage

George, I didn’t see anything about what you are using the maple for. It’s whiter than soft maple, but for strength in furniture both are
    good. The “soft” maple has more figure. I see the hard maple as …vise material, or substitute for ivory !

That's what I always plan on doing. Then again, I don't have Hearne in driving distance. I actually enjoy the process, but then again, I'm not running a business.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    George, I didn’t see anything about what you are using the maple for. It’s whiter than soft maple, but for strength in furniture both are
    good. The “soft” maple has more figure. I see the hard maple as …vise material, or substitute for ivory !
    Kitchen Cabinets. they will be painted so its for durability I chose HM

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That's what I always plan on doing. Then again, I don't have Hearne in driving distance. I actually enjoy the process, but then again, I'm not running a business.
    I dont do it for a living either so it is enjoyable time. I tried this pre milled to save my wife. She has to watch both young kids while im in the shop.

For domestics that are not "special", you may actually like working with John and Morgan at Bucks County Hardwoods. Not as an alternative for what Hearne offers in huge selection and variety, but for convenience. They've been good to me and are, like Hearne, one of the suppliers to Nakashima. I agree that Willard Bros can be pricey, although I've managed to get 8/4 basswood from them for a very acceptable price...I like that for guitar body cores.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I never get a finish off of a planer that is acceptable -- they always have knife marks. Is my experience atypical? I always presume I will have to hand plane, scrape, or sand to get a quality surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Interesting. I never get a finish off of a planer that is acceptable -- they always have knife marks. Is my experience atypical? I always presume I will have to hand plane, scrape, or sand to get a quality surface.
    Yeah, but nowhere near as bad as George showed in his photo. I can often start sanding off my planer at 150 grit. What he showed appeared like heavy and deep scallops that would require milling again, imo.
    Still waters run deep.

Looks like feed mechanism problems to me. My powermatic planer had a wash board surface on one side when I first bought it. From what I remembered the tension mechanism on the out feed roller was hung up and not holding the stock down.
    If it was a new guy running stock though that sick machine and allowed it to go out the door. I think that’s called apprentice marks.
    Good Luck everyone
    Aj