Thread: Reeves drive reversable?

Reeves drive reversable?

I am in the process of rebuilding a water damaged 1977 Rockwell 46-525 12" gap lathe with a Reeves drive. I have wired the new motor to a reversing switch. Then it dawned on me that if the revering switch was such a good idea then maybe the lathe would have come with one. So here is the question-Can a Reeves drive be run in reverse? I am a new member, but a long time reader. Thanks
    Rich S.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Susca View Post
    So here is the question-Can a Reeves drive be run in reverse?
    Yes, it can.

A Reeves drive is just adjustable pulleys. Pulleys don't care what direction they spin.

A threaded faceplate or chuck will unscrew when run in reverse. Modern lathe spindles are cam lock to allow reverse under full load.
    Bill D

Hmm, I've run my lathe in reverse with the chuck installed in order to sand. Is this bad practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A threaded faceplate or chuck will unscrew when run in reverse. Modern lathe spindles are cam lock to allow reverse under full load.
    Bill D

Turning in revese is not a big deal.
    Most do it just for sanding which doesn't typically cause any loosening issues.
    Tools like faceplates and chucks "typically" have a set screw that can be tightened if reverse turning required.

Many older lathes with Reeves drives have LH threads on the outboard side so there is not an unthreading issue while turning in normal rotation (except when decelerating with a heavy load, and these lathes rarely have a brake). Light sanding in reverse should not lead to unthreading. Grub screws used on a spindle without a groove to accept them should be made of a soft material to avoid damaging the threads.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-18-2023 at 2:22 PM.

There are a few chucks that don't have a grub screw. I own 2 of them. So, I took about 10 minutes and make a draw bar.

A drawbar is a threaded rod that is slid inside spindle. On the chuck end, I put a washer and a pair of jam nuts. On the left end by the spindle handle I put on a washer and another pair of jam nuts. With the draw bar in place it keeps the chuck from unscrewing when going in reverse .

When I'm hollowing I sometimes turn in the reverse because it allow me to be positioned in a more comfortable manner and with my arms tucked in.