Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Chuck question

Question Vacuum Chuck question

I'm looking at vacuum chucks and would like some input. I'm basically seeing the Hold Fast setup that uses the air compressor and I'm seeing the Oneway system that uses a vacuum pump. Any feedback on the best way to go here? I'll be using on a Powermatic PM2014 lathe if that matters. And this is the air compressor I have if it affects the recommendation (I don't want to replace with anything larger due to space constraints) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...0445/305026725 In another post recently I asked about hollowing systems and you guys gave me guidance and I know which way I'm going there. Thank you.

On a separate note, I finally got a chance to play with the new lathe last night. Only had a piece of KD Mahogany to use for a blank so it was a little hard turning. Also, I only had some of the Easy Tools carbide tools as that's what I could get my hands on when I bought the lathe. I have a couple of tools on the way from D-Way right now (5/8" bowl and 5/8 bowl bottom gouges), and plan to order a few more today (3/4" roughing gouge and 1" skew - I think anyway). Basically working to replace some of the equipment I sold a few years ago. The little Powermatic is a pretty nice little lathe. For a mix of small stuff to occasional larger stuff, it should be fine for my hobby use.

I haven't touched a lathe in over 3 years so don't beat me up too badly. Here is the little chunk of mahogany I cut off of a scrap left over from another project. Started playing around and turned the small little bowl. It needed to be cut a good bit deeper but I got tired of scraping at it with the carbide scrapers so I called it good. The tenon is still on there so I can pop it back in and work on it some more. Only wiped it with some mineral oil so I doubt that would make a big deal for turning again. Will be happy to have some tools that cut a little better as I did have some tear out as well. Anyway, I made a nice big mess and had some fun and now am looking forward to doing more.
    IMG_2311.jpg
    71313862366__134F6B38-8E0E-4D04-95D1-DEDF88A430F5.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.

With some minor replumbing, you already have a vacuum pump on the air compressor to which you linked. Couple that with a kit from simplewoodturningtools plus some air hose from Harbor Freight and you are in business. Vacuum generators are noisy due to air flow across a venturi (at least the one that I originally used on my vacuum bag is) whereas the pump on your compressor is very quiet.
    You can do some minor replumbing on your compressor to allow for either compressed air or vacuum pump operation with the switch of a couple valves. Even if you decide not to go this route, an oil-less vacuum pump (Gast or Thomas) off of ebay makes for a quiet, reliable, and fairly inexpensive system that takes up very little space.

Personally, I'd use a vacuum pump rather than the compressor and Venturi derived vacuum. Compressors are noisy. The Hold Fast requires 2.5 SCFM of air at around 60 PSI and I believe your compressor can do 3 at 90 PSI so you meet that spec.
    I should bow out and let the 2014 owners give you the straight dope but I think you need the or similar to the Hold Fast adapter to get through your spindle which apparently does have a 3/8 diameter hole through it. This allows you to connect the HF vacuum generator or a vacuum pump to the rotating spindle. Often lathes have threaded outboard ends of the spindle which allows a screw-on rotating adapter but I don't think this is an option for your 2014.
    I'm sure you will get some more info since vacuum chucking is always a popular topic.

I have, and absolutely love my Frugal vacuum pump/system. Works like a charm, and I can have it up and running in under a minute!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Greg, thanks for sharing and that mahogany is really pretty.

I thought these pumps were proprietary this whole time. Any chance I can use the vacuum pump from my veneer press? What else would be needed? Hmm, kind of hijacking sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Personally, I'd use a vacuum pump rather than the compressor and Venturi derived vacuum. Compressors are noisy. The Hold Fast requires 2.5 SCFM of air at around 60 PSI and I believe your compressor can do 3 at 90 PSI so you meet that spec.
    I should bow out and let the 2014 owners give you the straight dope but I think you need the or similar to the Hold Fast adapter to get through your spindle which apparently does have a 3/8 diameter hole through it. This allows you to connect the HF vacuum generator or a vacuum pump to the rotating spindle. Often lathes have threaded outboard ends of the spindle which allows a screw-on rotating adapter but I don't think this is an option for your 2014.
    I'm sure you will get some more info since vacuum chucking is always a popular topic.
    I agree
    While the compressor/venturi style does work, I find a vac pump much easier and quieter to deal with. Not to mention, a strong vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    ... Any chance I can use the vacuum pump from my veneer press? What else would be needed? Hmm, kind of hijacking sorry.
    You can any pump that draws a good vacuum BUT it has to have sufficient pumping speed to overcome any leakage in the system. Possible sources of leaks are any piping fittings, interface between workpiece and drum chuck (likely the major source), some woods are naturally porous so air will be drawn through them (can often mitigate by adding coat of finish to inside of bowl), and insect holes. As you can see, there are reasons why most setups are rarely operating at 100% ideal conditions.
    I have used old refrigerator compressors which are often marginal but work. Also, old air-condition compressors and dehumidifier compressors will work. Right now I'm using a 2 cylinder (not stage) antique refrigeration compressor that was used on a farm to chill water to put cans of fresh milk in to cool them. I also have an air compressor pump from a not too big compressor that had plumbing issues that I've hooked up to try. It worked fine.
    You need to have a rotary adapter so you don't wind the vacuum hose from the pump in a knot. A drum-chuck to mount the workpiece on. These can be purchased or shop made. Hose, air-filter for inlet of pump is a good idea especially for carbon vane pumps, gauge, valve to release vacuum and importantly, regulate vacuum. A good vacuum on a large vessel can literally implode it. If you google vacuum chucking you will find lots of info on setups.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 08-08-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I'm looking at vacuum chucks and would like some input. I'm basically seeing the Hold Fast setup that uses the air compressor and I'm seeing the Oneway system that uses a vacuum pump. Any feedback on the best way to go here? I'll be using on a Powermatic PM2014 lathe if that matters. And this is the air compressor I have if it affects the recommendation (I don't want to replace with anything larger due to space constraints) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-...0445/305026725 In another post recently I asked about hollowing systems and you guys gave me guidance and I know which way I'm going there. Thank you.

On a separate note, I finally got a chance to play with the new lathe last night. Only had a piece of KD Mahogany to use for a blank so it was a little hard turning. Also, I only had some of the Easy Tools carbide tools as that's what I could get my hands on when I bought the lathe. I have a couple of tools on the way from D-Way right now (5/8" bowl and 5/8 bowl bottom gouges), and plan to order a few more today (3/4" roughing gouge and 1" skew - I think anyway). Basically working to replace some of the equipment I sold a few years ago. The little Powermatic is a pretty nice little lathe. For a mix of small stuff to occasional larger stuff, it should be fine for my hobby use.

I haven't touched a lathe in over 3 years so don't beat me up too badly. Here is the little chunk of mahogany I cut off of a scrap left over from another project. Started playing around and turned the small little bowl. It needed to be cut a good bit deeper but I got tired of scraping at it with the carbide scrapers so I called it good. The tenon is still on there so I can pop it back in and work on it some more. Only wiped it with some mineral oil so I doubt that would make a big deal for turning again. Will be happy to have some tools that cut a little better as I did have some tear out as well. Anyway, I made a nice big mess and had some fun and now am looking forward to doing more.
    IMG_2311.jpg
    71313862366__134F6B38-8E0E-4D04-95D1-DEDF88A430F5.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    I used the Holdfast system for many years and it performed very well-never lost a piece!
    3 cfm may be a little low for the holdfast. I ran mine with a 6cfm and it would cycle on quite often probably due to the inevitable leaks, wood being porus after all.
    Also I used and liked the Hollowfast system from the same company.

Running a venturi system is like holding an air gun open, continuously. Will that compressor handle that kind of duty cycle and keep up? Silent compressors work because they turn the pimp much slower. I doubt if that compressor will work.

I suggest you search this forum (and others) for vacuum chuck systems. You'll find lots of good ideas and variations. A number of ways to go. You have to decide what you want.

I read a bunch of threads on vacuum chucks when I was deciding. I settled on a Gast pump coupled to a JTTurningtools quick connect system with PVC adapter head. Sadly the JTT systems are no longer available. The proprietor passed away. I was one of the lucky last ones to get one of his systems. But, there are workable similar alternatives. I also have the simplewoodturningtools vacuum head. It's nicely made and works good, but it is limited to one size. Easy to hook up though.

Oneway, Chucky, and Hold Fast have nice adapters and chuck heads. There are also quick connects for some Powermatic lathes. I would start by reaching out to them (or Crafts Supply) for a headstock quick connect system specifically for your lathe. They might have one that fits exactly. If not, Chucky has some interesting offerings.

Frugal is probably the cheapest way to get a descent working pump system. I got lucky and found a new Gast on FB marketplace for $100. Worth a quick search anyway. I also have a cheap Chinese pump I use for wood stabilization. It works good too, but is not "oil-less" like the Gast. Spews a little oil into the air.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 08-08-2023 at 8:48 PM.

VeneerSupplies (Joe Woodworker) sells parts and plans for economical diy vacuum pumps. Bagging, clamping, chucking - one pump can do it all.

Rubber Chucky has an adapter that plugs into the handwheel (or handtube, as the case may be). The handwheel of the 2014 can be removed - the outboard end of the spindle is threaded ¾-16 LH.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I have the green (3cfm) pump from veneer pressing systems. It's good enough for a 4'x8' bag. Will this work for me?

This one:
    https://www.vacupress.com/product/co...ess-pump-3cfm/

I am using an HVAC vacuum pump because I had one. It's really not very loud and certainly not loud compared to a compressor. It also developes a very good vacuum. I control the vacuum with a bleed valve that allows more or less room air into the pump. Less room air into the pump equals higher vacuum at the spindle.

I have the Rubber Chucky rotary adapter that Jim mentions and for me it's a game changer because it just plugs into the outboard spindle. It makes the setup happen in less than a minute. I had to modify the adapter to fit my NOVA DVR XP but it looks like you have a Powermatic and should be fine.
    Chucky_Vacuudapter.html

This is from Doc Green's site and shows a simple and effective setup.
    rotaryadapter.html

Last edited by Richard Dooling; 08-09-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have the green (3cfm) pump from veneer pressing systems. It's good enough for a 4'x8' bag. Will this work for me?

This one:
    https://www.vacupress.com/product/co...ess-pump-3cfm/
    This will work from a capacity stand point. As long as it is pulling ~25" Hg or thereabouts when the wood is on the lathe you will be fine. Higher flow pumps are needed when the wood is particularly porous. My pump is rated at 3.15 cfm and it works fine. Vacuum chuck has been one of the more useful things I have acquired or made for lathe work.

Dwayne, thank you for the reply. This really does open up some possibilities for me.