Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting veneer?

Transporting veneer?

Hi all, I won a couple lots at auction for a decent amount of veneer (~2300 sqft)., about 12’ x 8”. I was thinking of getting some 2x8’s and making a sandwich, but don’t want to crush anything. Any suggestions? I have a trailer (8’ long) if that helps.

I don’t have any experience transporting veneer but what about getting a 2x12 for the bottom then make a box around it with plywood. That way you could keep the sheets loose.

A 2X8 is not wide enough for 8" wide veneer. A 2X8 is only 7 1/4" wide. You will need to buy a 2X10 if you want to completely cover the 8" veneer.

You sure don't have to worry about crush anything. You have to crush the veneer down to the substrate latter. By my math, you will have around 270 sheets of veneer. I'd roll them up and wrap with wrap with plastic stretch. Sounds like you have a lifetime supply now.

All, thanks for suggestions! I think I’ll make a box with a couple 2x’s and ply, then either strap that to the roof or use the trailer.

Construction lumber - for instance 2x8s - can be soaking wet. I wouldn’t put nice dry veneer on it. OSB would be better.

Good point Jamie, but it won’t be for too long.

Just put a layer of the plywood or OSB on top of the 2x board to keep the veneer off the solid stock that may be higher moisture if that's a concern, but a decent 2x10 that's been stored indoors (pick carefully) should be reasonably "dry" for the purpose at hand and the time it will be in contact with the material. It appears this is just for physical protection during transport, so I'd likely do the same as you...a simple crate on the trailer. (I don't do roof racks...ever)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    All, thanks for suggestions! I think I’ll make a box with a couple 2x’s and ply, then either strap that to the roof or use the trailer.
    Strapping a 12'+ long box that maybe weighs around 100 pounds on the roof? I think you are underestimating what you bought. If the veneer weighs 1 ounce per sq ft, you have 144 pounds of veneer, plus the box.

Why the concern with crushing it? Is it brittle? If it is, maybe first hit it with a little water mixed with glycerin or veneer conditioner but that'll get expensive fast.

Sometimes it can be and I’d rather avoid any unnecessary forces that could crush it. Or even just be a bit wavy and compressing could cause cracks. I’d just rather make a quick box for it and know it’s safe on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sometimes it can be and I’d rather avoid any unnecessary forces that could crush it. Or even just be a bit wavy and compressing could cause cracks. I’d just rather make a quick box for it and know it’s safe on the trailer.
    Just curious Matt, how much raw veneer have you laid up in the past? How did you get it home before? I've never seen this much discussion just for hauling veneer. Plenty of over thinking going on!
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-08-2023 at 9:40 PM.

I’ve gotten small amounts of veneer in large boxes rolled in a circle.

This is a lot more veneer than I’ve ever gotten. Here are a couple pics. As you can see it’s laid flat, not in boxes, and it’s listed as 12.5’ long. I also don’t know how rolling it would go since it’s been flat for so long. Rather than buying a bunch of giant boxes I thought I’d keep it flat.

is it okay with you to discuss this? You seem quite negative about me asking a question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's some really beautiful veneer, Matt. I can see why you grabbed it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim! It’s fumed and figured Eucalyptus and curly maple. Got it all for $375 after fees.
    Attached Images Attached Images