Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting veneer?

Beautiful stuff
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’ve gotten small amounts of veneer in large boxes rolled in a circle.

This is a lot more veneer than I’ve ever gotten. Here are a couple pics. As you can see it’s laid flat, not in boxes, and it’s listed as 12.5’ long. I also don’t know how rolling it would go since it’s been flat for so long. Rather than buying a bunch of giant boxes I thought I’d keep it flat.

is it okay with you to discuss this? You seem quite negative about me asking a question.
    Sure it's fine. But all the discussion has been mostly one direction. I give you some advice based on my 50+ years of experience, and I am ignored. I'm 70 years old and have stacks and stacks of veneer that were supposed to be used in my retirement. Guess what, I still have stacks and stacks. Buying large quantities because you get it at a deal, is what has choked my shop to a standstill in some areas.

I’m sorry you feel that way.

The seller said he didn’t recommend rolling them and to keep them straight, which I’ll do. I was going to build a box for it, but a friend recommended using plastic wrap, so I’ve bought a 2x12x12 to put them on them I will wrap it in plastic wrap (the kind movers use). It will also keep it out of the elements in transport. I’ll fasten the 2x12 to the trailer deck after the veneer is wrapped up.

I’ll sell at least half of the eucalyptus since there’s so much.

How will you store it at home? Might as well make the storage box now. 2 x 10 x 14' with plywood sides and lined with plastic. How tall will it be stacked? Will one box be enough?

What about moisture content now and in storage. Don't want it to mold.