Thread: White finish for dining table?

White finish for dining table?

Guys,

my wife want white finished dining t able top. What finish(s) would you recommend, likely with best durability?

One option might be Target Coatings EM6500 in white with the crosslinker for additional durability and chemical resistance. General Finishes has a white product, too. Both of these examples are waterborne finishes designed to be sprayed but can be sprayed in more normal environments whereas most, if not all, solvent based products require a heavier level of PPI and spray environment safety considerations; IE, not good for spraying in the garage attached to the house.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

General Finishes makes Enduro 2K White Poly. You can topcoat that with the Enduro 2K Clear Poly, if desired.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    General Finishes makes Enduro 2K White Poly. You can topcoat that with the Enduro 2K Clear Poly, if desired.

John
    I thought about Enduro 2k, but I never used anything with catalist, and GF website says "Requires NCO Catalyst".
    Why one would like to topcoat with clear poly enstead of extra layer of white? Any extra protection or it gives special look?

There's no need to topcoat with a clearcoat over the white base but doing so will give a "deeper" look and make it somewhat easier to repair if just the clearcoat is damaged. If the damage goes all the way to the wood underneath, however, repair will be extra challenging.

John

Thank, you John.

Are you sure the client wants solid white? There’s a common finishing technique called cerusing, which looks kinda like white glaze is wiped into the wood’s pores. The result is mostly the the color of the wood, with some white in the pores.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 08-07-2023 at 8:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Are you sure the client wants solid white? There’s a common finishing technique called versing, which looks kinda like white glaze is wiped into the wood’s pores. The result is mostly the the color of the wood, with some white in the pores.
    Jamie,

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I am sure about solid white. Besides, because I am a "part" of the client too, I am not fan of such finishes, I prefer bare wood or solid color.

9. I don't have a lot of experience. However, I wouldn't choose white since it can get messy very easy and sometimes the stains won't go away. I always chose to have a glass on top of the dining table and I think it's one of the easiest options.