Thread: A great story about an emergency room in a small town

A great story about an emergency room in a small town

I was windsurfing yesterday and I heard a pop in my leg and felt instant pain. I was not doing anything radical just a hard carving turn on a wave. I sailed in OK, but I was limping a lot. Because the pop reminded me of a couple times I've broken bones I decided to go to the hospital.

I live in a small town and I've been to this ER a few times. Amazingly they got me in right away. I'd say I was in a bed being cared for 5 minutes after I walked in the door! The doctor that came in to examine me was extremely thorough very competent and caring. His tone and bedside manner was familiar. I remembered he was the one who diagnosed my wife 3 months ago at an ER visit.

She had sudden violent shaking and chills with a fever 3 months ago and I rushed her to the ER. She was diagnosed with a kidney infection. He told her to get a scan as soon as possible and gave her antibiotics. Turns out that kidney scan discovered lung cancer. She's now on her fourth week of chemo and radiation. The tumors are shrinking! She's had minimal side effects and we're very grateful.
    An hour after I limped in to the ER a sonogram and an x-ray of my leg revealed it was just a torn muscle. The Dr told me to rest and ice it for a few days. I told him how his advice to have my wife's kidney scanned ultimately detected her lung cancer very early. I couldn't thank him enough. He said "oh boy you made my day" he actually had tears in his eyes and so did I.
    Even more amazing is this morning the same doctor from the ER called me. He wanted to follow up and answer any questions about healing and Rehab!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-05-2023 at 7:29 PM. Reason: Defaulted text so it's readable on a large monitor
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Fantastically wonderful. Will be sending healing thoughts through the ether to your wife. You're on your own.

Good luck to you both.

My wife is a breast cancer survivor, in her 5th year post chemo. I wish you both blessings on your journey. In 1977 I broke my neck in 2 places c1 and c2 with 4 nerves pulled out of my spinal column. Dr in emergency room had been a mash surgeon in Vietnam. He saved my life, no loss of leg or arm movement after his work. Some of them really really get it. Brian

There are a lot of good folks out there in ERs...I'm glad you have one there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here, in town, we have a remote ER for local hospital. Walk in and be seen in less than ten minutes, VS hours at actual hospital. If your condition warrants being hospitalized, they only transport you to hospital when a bed is available. No lying on a gurney in the hall for hours waiting for a room.