Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginning Wood Turning

I agree with others here in taking a class. My wife had an opportunity to work with an LD student in a shop class. He was turning a bowl and she was able to "assist" him and thought it was fun. We took a pen turning class at Rockler and became hooked. We then attended a bowl turning class there as well.

We started with carbide tools as we were doing a lot of "acrylic" pens as well as wood. The upside with carbide tools is no sharpening system is required. Simply rotate the cutter (or replace) to get a fresh sharp edge. They are an easy entry into turning and making items. The downside is they are simply scrappers and do not leave as good as finish. We now have several carbide and HSS tools that we use when turning. I waited for sales and got an 8" slow speed grinder, CBN wheel, and the Oneway sharpening fixture and accessories (Black Friday sales are a good time to look for deals).

Fun projects to begin with that require minimal tools.

Handles (Kitchen items)
    Bottle Stoppers
    Twig Pots
    Christmas items (snowmen, trees, ornaments)
    Pendants (necklace)

Hello everyone. I just wanted to come back and say thanks to y'all for the advice and ideas.

We will definitely be doing classes at the local Rockler to start with, and I'll be watching the sales for other equipment.

Thanks!

I did Rockler and Woodcraft classes when starting. It’s of course teacher-dependent but the Woodcraft classes were great. Rockler used only carbide but Woodcraft was HSS.

I would highly recommend investigating classes through a local AAW chapter. You can search for these at the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) website: woodturner.org
    Joining a woodturning club is also a great way to learn from others. As every turner knows, woodturning is not quite as easy as it appears on YouTube. Without some training and mentoring it can be a very frustrating (and potentially hazardous) experience.

There are two main types of turning. Spindle turning (handles, finials, candlesticks) and face turning, (platters bowls and cups) there are some different tools for each type of turning, with a little over lap. Some lathes may be great for one, but not for the other. For face turning, you will want a lathe that goes down to a rather low RPM. like 100 rpm. For spindle work a much higher minimum works just fine.

You can turn small items on a large lathe, but not large items on a small lathe.

By all means, get her some beginning classes from a knowledgeable instructor. A mentor is fine but one learned, bad habits are hard to break. The American Association of wood turners has a FREE affiliate trial membership with access to all manner of video instruction that has been screened for proper practices and safety.

Face shield and breathing protection are as important as the lathe. ( I have had a piece of wood disintegrate from centrifugal force and got 6 stitches in the chin for my carelessness, in fact I was reaching for the face mask as I got hit.) I also have a lung condition from past life activities (never smoked) and wear a respirator almost all the time when sending..

The chucks and chisels often cost more than the lathe.

Don't get real cheap tools. The $19 dollar set at Harbor freight is not worth the money. There are reasonably priced mid grade tools that are well worth the cost. For spindle work, a skew chisel is the scariest thing in the shop. If she learns proper technique and use from the beginning, she will have a skill many grown experienced turner don't have. (I often turn for hours and multiple items using only a skew chisel. My preferred skew chisel is a 50 yr old Craftsman. An inch wide and 5/16 inch thick with lots of heft to resist chatter, etc. )

There is a group at the AAW, called WIT- Women in Turning, I am not sure how turning or wood is any different depending on the sex of the turner, but she may find someone to be her turning idol there. There is a woman at my turning club that can make the longest thinnest finials I have ever seen, in person or in pictures.

There are things turners do that make little sense to non-turners. Primarily to show off their advanced turning skills, not because the item is particularly artful or in demand by the public. Such long thin finials are just one of those.

Find a turning club she can join. Every meeting, my club has a show and tell where folks being their projects. I had no idea so many different kinds of things and methods could be done on a lathe. There are also a few face book groups devoted to turning. I have no dreams of creating great works, but I have posted little photo how to make certain simple things on them. For instance, to make a wooden turned whistle, or how to turn a fish. A few other turners post similar how to's of simple projects.

I would recommend buying a few instructional DVDs. Some of my favorite s are "turning projects with Richard Raffan" and "turning projects with Rex Burningham and Kip Christensen" I watched Kip live a few years ago, he does a lot of projects for beginners on a budget. He shows you how to turn a pen using a cheap plastic pen for the kit. Another one was an ice cream scoop handle starting from a plastic handled scoop from Ikea. I would decide what she plans on making before investing in a lot of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Holm View Post
    I would recommend buying a few instructional DVDs. Some of my favorite s are "turning projects with Richard Raffan" and "turning projects with Rex Burningham and Kip Christensen" I watched Kip live a few years ago, he does a lot of projects for beginners on a budget. He shows you how to turn a pen using a cheap plastic pen for the kit. Another one was an ice cream scoop handle starting from a plastic handled scoop from Ikea. I would decide what she plans on making before investing in a lot of tools.
    While nothing is better than in-person, I learned from YouTube videos for several years before joining a local club (you have to be careful as not everyone on YT is proficient or safe).

Some of the best beginner videos come from Brian Havens. He has a video on each tool and discusses how to use it and why.
    Other quality YouTube = Alan Lacer (esp for the skew), Richard Raffan, Craft Supplies, and Turn a Wood Bowl.

GL,
    Tom

Rockler and Woodcraft have pretty good beginning turning classes—carbide and HSS. I started there as well as a couple other places and really didn’t buy any tools or a lather till I was sure I wanted to turn. Have her take some lessons first.

i just finished at least 12 black walnut bowls using carbide. i belong to a woodworking club, have for about 10 years now, been wood working for about 40. I've seen many videos on turning, know expert turners, etc. I have finally decided to up my game and just ordered the Oneway Wolverine sharpening system for my gouges. I have known that I should be using gouges for years now and finally am making the move (at 76 years old!). What convinced me is the end grain tearout on every bowl i turn and trying to sand it out. I have 5-6 more bowls to "twice turn" out of a lot of green walnut that I was given in "rounds" form. You can do a decent job with carbide quickly, short learning curve that is. However, you'll not get away from end grain tearout with carbide so your limited in your ability to do really nice work. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

so it’s been a few months. How is she doing?

This may have already been mentioned but I would place a priority on quality safety gear - safety glasses, face shield, respirator, etc. Good safety practices are easier to accept when first starting out with them.