Thread: Saw Transport Box

Saw Transport Box

I needed to transport my saws for a one-time event. Didn't want to spend a bunch of money so I used wood I had laying around. The lid was made from a piece of sub-flooring and left-over red oak corner edging. So the joinery was on the outside. A little different. The lid sits on a piece of pine with hollowed out 2 x 4 's. The saws fit into slots with the backsaws sitting on their backs. The saws with maple handles are crosscut. The Walnut ones are rip. Inside the lid are cross supports that hold the saws down (Shown in last picture). Some screws went through the lid into the pine bottom to secure it. The saws were held well enought that the box could be stood on its end and moved with a hand truck.

Saw Box 1.jpg

Saw Box 2.jpg

Saw Box 3.jpg

Looks good to me...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Nice

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like the color coding on the handles!

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I like the color coding on the handles!
    If you look at my avatar you can see my saws in their normal spots. They are arranged from the top being small and the bigg ones towards the bottom. Crosscut on the left, rip on the right. As most were custom made for my small hand I was able to choose the woods. Very easy to reach in and grab the saw I want without having to check if it's the right one.

Looks good! My backsaws fit in a similar wooden rack in an airtight waterproof toolbox. My handsaws are in two boxes. One I built in 1975, and I can't remember when I built the other one. Long backsaw in the old one is for a Langdon-Acme. I ate my lunch sitting on that first one for a number of years. All my saw teeth face up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looks good! My backsaws fit in a similar wooden rack in an airtight waterproof toolbox. My handsaws are in two boxes. One I built in 1975, and I can't remember when I built the other one. Long backsaw in the old one is for a Langdon-Acme. I ate my lunch sitting on that first one for a number of years. All my saw teeth face up.
    Eric - that looks like a good solution and a good use of material that was at hand.

Tom - I like the notes on saw files. I never remember which one I decided on the last time I sharpened a particular saw.

I wish I had done a neater job, but that was probably done on a lunch break 48 years ago when I had a lot less experience.

That box was an exact copy of one that belonged to a lifelong carpenter, Mr. Randolph Pierce, including the saw file size chart. He was 75 years old in 1975, and could outwork me any day then. Probably not now.

In the '70's and '80's, I hired the best carpenters I could find, and they were none younger than mid 50's. After they all left by 1988, I only used two unskilled laborers that no one else would hire.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-03-2023 at 9:41 PM.

Very chic. I've used 3/8" plywood siding scraps for a number of boxes. The miter corners look vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Very chic. I've used 3/8" plywood siding scraps for a number of boxes. The miter corners look vulnerable.
    The corners are somewhat weak but I was only moving the saws to an event and then back home. A one time event. Standing it up on it's end and using a two wheel hand truck nothing broke. I was experimenting with sort of inside out joinery. I really went together easily. I would not recommend this approach if a heavier duty box is needed.