Thread: Sad day today, I broke my lathe

Sad day today, I broke my lathe

I have had my Delta 46-460 for about 11 or 12 years now, and have had no problems with it. Today, I was just finishing a major (for me) project, and the power switch broke. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what actually broke, but but it seems that it would likely be the switch or actuator that broke. Neither part is available at e-replacement, and I haven't checked others yet. I think my 460 is a type one, but I do not know how to determine that. If it is a type 2, both parts are available, and are even reasonably priced. My questions are:

How do I determine the lathe type 1 or 2?
    Where else would you look for replacement parts?
    Dose anyone know if the Power switch, actuator, and reverse switch on a type 2 are compatible with a type one lathe? I ask about the reverse switch, because it is
    reasonably priced, and lathe history is that it is a common problem.
    Any tips for replacing the switch?

TIA
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Not an expert or an electrician but should not be hard to find a simple on/off switch that would work. A simple light switch is an on/off switch

Google using "delta 46-460 on off switch replacement" and you will come up with several that will work. Not OEM exact look but will turn your lathe on and off.

Type 1 had the big switch on the back, type 2 on the right side of the headstock. As mentioned, bypass the switch in the head and add a generic switch somewhere else. Google is a wonderful thing, but I went ahead and did it for you.
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.43.30 PM.jpgScreenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.44.30 PM.jpg

Thanks Richard. I have a type 2. Parts are readily available. I just assumed the problem was the power switch because it got harder to move just before the lathe quit working, but research shows the problem can be in a lot of places. My brother is an EE, and will come over tomorrow and check all switches and the speed control board to determine where the problem really is. Here's hoping it is a cheap switch. I am also thinking of a generic switch that I can put under the center of the bed. I will probably keep the extension on all the time now, and from the far end, it is quite a reach in an emergency. With any kind of luck I'll be up and running soon.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Thanks Richard. I have a type 2. Parts are readily available. I just assumed the problem was the power switch because it got harder to move just before the lathe quit working, but research shows the problem can be in a lot of places. My brother is an EE, and will come over tomorrow and check all switches and the speed control board to determine where the problem really is. Here's hoping it is a cheap switch. I am also thinking of a generic switch that I can put under the center of the bed. I will probably keep the extension on all the time now, and from the far end, it is quite a reach in an emergency. With any kind of luck I'll be up and running soon.
    Have you turned bowls on that lathe? That seems to be the achilles heal. The control board is the issue when the lathe has seen a lot of load and the board components gain too much heat. Main failures; dust in main switch, potentiometer, or reversing switch, then control board. That lathe is notorious for both. I only turn ornaments, boxes, and tops on mine. Having a good dust port behind the lathe is a big help for keeping the switches clean.

So I have confirmed that the problem is indeed the power switch. I have a new one on the way. Because the temperatures here have dropped to the high seventies to mid eighties, the wife and I had decided to make this a total turning weekend. The dead lathe threw a monkey wrench into that plan. I bypassed the switch and put in a secondary switch, and things seem to be mostly good. The only problem I have is that it seems that the motor lacks torque. I can grab a spinning spindle (french rolling pin), and bog the motor down to stopping point. It may be because I am using the highest speed settings on the pulleys, which I rarely do. I know there is some torque loss with some pulley settings, but I find it hard to believe that it would be that much. Anybody have any experience with the torque loss on this lathe?
    Brian

So I have confirmed that the problem is indeed the power switch. I have a new one on the way. Because the temperatures here have dropped to the high seventies to mid eighties, the wife and I had decided to make this a total turning weekend. The dead lathe threw a monkey wrench into that plan. I bypassed the switch and put in a secondary switch, and things seem to be mostly good. The only problem I have is that it seems that the motor lacks torque. I can grab a spinning spindle (french rolling pin), and bog the motor down to stopping point. It may be because I am using the highest speed settings on the pulleys, which I rarely do. I know there is some torque loss with some pulley settings, but I find it hard to believe that it would be that much. Anybody have any experience with the torque loss on this lathe?
    It's so easy to either support, or clarify your theory of the problem. Change the belt and try it again. When you don't keep the rpms up on a DC motor, you absolutely loose power. That's the reason big lathes have gone to 3 phase motors and VFDs. Even on those lathes there are different pulley sizes to keep motor rpm up. A secondary problem can be loose set screws or a missing key and the pulleys are spinning on the shaft.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-06-2023 at 7:42 PM.

Brian, I have the similar lathe only type 1. There is a definite loss of torque on the higher belt settings. I hardly ever use the highest speed belt setting for that reason.

Good day today in the shop, my lathe is back among the living. The new part arrived, and was relatively easy to put in. No missing parts, and none left over, so I'm calling it a win. I was able to do a Mickey Mouse engineering job, and kept it running while I waited for the new part. Thank you to all who gave advice, especially Richard Coers. I'm not sure there is really more of a torque issue than just the DC motor speeds. I was probably just being over sensitive to the thought of problems. Again, thanks for the help.
    Brian

Good day today in the shop, my lathe is back among the living. The new part arrived, and was relatively easy to put in. No missing parts, and none left over, so I'm calling it a win. I was able to do a Mickey Mouse engineering job, and kept it running while I waited for the new part. Thank you to all who gave advice, especially Richard Coers. I'm not sure there is really more of a torque issue than just the DC motor speeds. I was probably just being over sensitive to the thought of problems. Again, thanks for the help.
    Thanks for the callout Brian.