Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Black cars

Turns out 'dog mode' is pretty handy, even without pets in the car. We were going to use it to save some chocolates from a gooey death while shopping.

Turned out, when we got to Costco it was so crowded we just went home. 'Chocolate mode' remains untested.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I had a black 1960 T-bird when I was a teenager. It was a cool car but a pain to keep clean and the AC technology back then was not great. That was my only black vehicle. I wish I still had it today.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    If you've spent any time in the Middle East you've seen a lot of black clothes worn by people who you would think would know what works for them.
    It puzzled me in the movie Laurence of Arabia why Omar Sharif would wear heat/light absorbing black when riding a horse across the shimmering hot desert towards Peter O'Tool at the well.

If I recall correctly according to a physics forum post the heat absorbed by the black loose fitting cloth heats the air on the body side of the cloth, this causes the warm air between the cloth and body to rise and escape out of the top of the loose fitting clothing/robe? this then causes cooler air to be drawn at the bottom of the loose clothes, like a chimney effect. Part of the incoming moving air goes next to the body relatively cooling it.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

My soon-to-be-delivered Maverick pickup will be grey outside with black seats.
    I didn't order black seats, and for 2 reasons, I plan on getting fabric seat covers: One, Seat covers are less expensive than replacing the seat corners, and two; I've suffered with black seats on my previous car and know how "smutzik" (dirty to everyone else) they constantly look.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    It puzzled me in the movie Laurence of Arabia why Omar Sharif would wear heat/light absorbing black when riding a horse across the shimmering hot desert towards Peter O'Tool at the well.

If I recall correctly according to a physics forum post the heat absorbed by the black loose fitting cloth heats the air on the body side of the cloth, this causes the warm air between the cloth and body to rise and escape out of the top of the loose fitting clothing/robe? this then causes cooler air to be drawn at the bottom of the loose clothes, like a chimney effect. Part of the incoming moving air goes next to the body relatively cooling it.
    But then Lawrence and also Faisal (Alec Guinness) are fully decked out in white.
    Go figure...
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Turns out 'dog mode' is pretty handy, even without pets in the car. We were going to use it to save some chocolates from a gooey death while shopping.

Turned out, when we got to Costco it was so crowded we just went home. 'Chocolate mode' remains untested.
    I just use the "Keep" mode, not the "Dog" mode. Use it all the time down here in Florida. Especially with heat index over 110 most days the past month.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    My soon-to-be-delivered Maverick pickup will be grey outside with black seats.
    I didn't order black seats, and for 2 reasons, I plan on getting fabric seat covers: One, Seat covers are less expensive than replacing the seat corners, and two; I've suffered with black seats on my previous car and know how "smutzik" (dirty to everyone else) they constantly look.
    Just make sure that the seat covers you purchase are compatible with any airbags that are physically installed in the seats. Side-airbags are commonly "in the seats".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe they are all Uber Black drivers? Uber requires all Uber Black cars to be Black cars with Black leather interior. 😝🤓