Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black cars

Black cars

In my upscale area, there is a black car fad going on- possibly 30%.

IMO, this is mass stupidity. If you're tempted, talk to someone who has owned a black car previously, and get their opinion. Many will say never again.

Hot. Is this a kind of climate denialism?

High maintenance. Shows the dirt, more frequent cleaning. Finish breaks down faster.

Low resale value. In some years, a glut of bad looking black cars will be looking for buyers.

Highest accident rate. Primarily based on a study by an Australian university, but credible.

IMG_3468.jpgIMG_3529.jpeg

Yeah but they look better in the shade.

yes and written by a canadian treasure.

If you know how to detail and take care of your own stuff its doable. dont get the attraction though

My 2019 Hyundai Kona is two tone, Black roof/Red body.
    When I bought it 4 years ago, I applied three coats of Torque Detail ceramic finish.
    At the time, Torque was rated as the best by several online sources.

The car has never been parked inside and has been outside come rain, shine and snow.

I have never had to wash the car. All it takes is a rain to make the car look like new. The black roof looks great. It's not a "wet look" anymore, but, it looks like I just applied a coat of wax.

And - - yes, I did own a black car once and it was everything listed in the OP. That was back in 1991. My wife was surprised when I bought the Kona because I swore no more black cars.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Last 2 cars, gray, they hide all the dirt longer.

Beige is the best color if you live on a gravel road.

I'd never own a black car...not just because of thermal considerations, but also because I wouldn't want to have to wash the darn thing every other day. I only do light colors...current and immediate past is white. Doesn't show the dirt and only needs washed about once a month with my personal usage. I also despise black interiors...actually any dark interior, but sadly they tend to get forced on those of us who like to drive feature laiden top trim vehicles. I'm on my third in a row with a medium dark brown for seating areas 'cause that's the only option. Keeping the black parts clean is a hassle...our "dirt" is much lighter colored.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Black is either the first or the second most popular color for cars in the US, depending on the source. I've had two black vehicles and didn't worry too much about the appearance. Nobody notices one more black SUV in the parking lot.

I always thought it was popular because it was tastefully subdued, and a sign of power and wealth.

Most of my previous vehicles were red or dark red. Wife convinced me that they were too visible to police, and thats why she always picks gray.
    < insert spurious quote here >

In a very imprecise survey while waiting at a long light the other day I determined that cars around here only come in 2 colors - black and white - with very few exceptions. I don't know how many were black but I can't see the attraction, especially here in the Sunshine State. Right now my gray car is parked in the sun in front of the house with the windows and trunk open, waiting for the shade to move around. (It would have been red, but when we bought it the dealer had only 2 of what we wanted and I was out-voted by my wife.) Speaking of red, my unofficial survey saw about 1 red car out of every 50 and one blue or other color.

Neiighbor just had a lavish birthday party for a 4-year-old and nearly half of the cars belonging to parents at the party were red. That might say something about young couples - or not.

"Cars" also means pickup trucks of course.

There really aren't a lot of color options for cars. Black, Red, White, Silver, maybe Blue? So not surprised black is like 30%. Might be interesting to see what the break down is for the other colors.

Personally for me I noticed red vehicles, because both my mother and mother in law have virtually identical vehicles from different manufacturers with the same red paint job. They don't really talk, and don't know each other all that well, so it appears to be independent decisions.

The metallic colors didn’t hold up outside….but looked great in a neat garage ! With air conditioning any color is OK.
    Henry Ford said “any color ,as long as it’s black”, and he sold a bunch of cars….without air conditioning.

Ever wonder why Teslas are usually white? It's because they charge extra for other colors, really keeps the production line humming. Red is $2K extra, the least uptick is $1K for different than white. I suspect they wait until enough blue ones are ordered and then batch them too. Had to wait six weeks for a red one.

Hold the presses: Tesla just announced the standard color for Model Y's will now be charcoal. Don't know if white will be an additional standard color or not.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I remember years ago that Boeing offed 50 shades of white as standard plane colors. Or they would custom mix a different white to your specs.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I remember years ago that Boeing offed 50 shades of white as standard plane colors. Or they would custom mix a different white to your specs.
    Bill D
    Back in the seventies, Pittsburgh Paint offered ten thousand shades of white paint in their catalogue. That didn't include custom mixed shades

I’ve owned white cars for years. I prefer them. I had to buy my last one off the lot (long story) and it was black. It stays clean and shiny within 100 yards of the car wash. I’ve adapted.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 08-03-2023 at 7:37 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.