Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The essential scrub plane?

We agree indeed Warren!

Now as Steven is opposing wood and metal, I will insert another coin in the machine.

I recall reading few years ago that Stanley, looking at the immigrant workers and their scrub woodies, released the 40 to be mainly used on the edge of the boards. This was to take a lot of material quickly prior to use a jointer and probably instead of a saw when there was not too much meat to take off. Again it was supposed to be only the edge of a board.

I do not know if there is anything of that time documenting it.

Apparently Anthony Guidice had a really different point of view!
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 08-03-2023 at 7:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And that is completely... BS....

Have scrub many a rough sawn board, and a few wayward glue joints over the years....The intent was never to actually "flatten a board>>" merely to remove the high spots, cups and bows...twisted boards, were the realm of longer, wider planes, like a fore plane. Really do not give a Tinker's D about 18th century stuff....more concerned about getting the next board(s) that come into MY shop as flat and ready to mill as I can.

Oh, and a Jointer Plane ( Gluing Plane as it was called) has no business being on the face of a panel...period..

Sorry people...I deal with Iron Bodied Planes....wooden bodies stay on the shelf..

BTW: what is the difference between a Stanley No. 40 and a Stanley No. 78? The 70 can also be set up as a bull nose.....otherwise, the bodies are about the same size...too narrow and too short to be much more than a Scrub plane...

The "Horned Plane" was from Germany...and came to America with the German Carpenters....who also carried Bow Saws on their shoulders. Irish folk like me? Were too busy digging ditches and Canals....to be a Joiner...

Some of us "woodworkers" are NOT stuck in the 1700s....something to consider, eh? ( those who don't LEARN from the past, are bound to repeat it, as the saying goes...at least in the era I work in,,,we have electric Lights....Warren still has to use Candle Light?
    Steven, you can get a bit tetchy. The reason we discuss historical practices in the Neanderthal forum is the learn the best methods for hand work today. Those methods are being lost. The hand tool methods of the past came from generations of woodworkers perfecting their craft in a preindustrial world. Their techniques were efficient and practical. Warren and Axel help us make sense of the historical practices so we can continue the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post

Apparently Anthony Guidice had a really different point of view!
    Yes, Axel apparently he did. But I don't think Anthony would stick to that point of view. He was a practical woodworker who wrote some good books for an audience that mostly used power tools. He encouraged hand tool use but did not pretend to be an authority. I have not seen anything from him in years...he may not even be in woodworking.

Ho right, Many thanks Mark I appreciate you gave me a bit of context there.
    I never came accross this name before and looked a bit when I discovered Cameron's topic, without much success.

Your description of Anthony Guidice shows laudable efforts from his part and I will then check if I can access his work.

The scrub plane is a tool that always brings a lot of dicussions and passions, strangely enough...even on French fora even if this tool is new to us...people see them in hands of US youtubers and think they absolutely need them.

I guess customs and work habits were really different from regions to regions and woodworkers from Boston were maybe not using the very same tools than those from Virginia. At least in France, habits, tools and their names were different, making things a bit hard for us today to figure sometimes.