Thread: Experimenting with techniques on the daughters play kitchen

Experimenting with techniques on the daughters play kitchen

PXL_20230629_224206563.MP.jpg

Well I think I was sent home from the hospital with the right child the way she looks at my hand planes 😉

Screenshot_20230731-200101.jpg

A play kitchen looks like fun, but it would be silly to buy one when dad has scrap wood and tools

PXL_20230504_001431724.jpg

Didn't take too many pictures of the build up to this point but it was uninteresting case work up to this point.

Tonight when I can sneak away to the basement was fun with dados. I usually use a big back saw from my miter box to cut the walls but on this big piece trying to get the saw to track the line was kind of a pain. I decided to try a chisel and cut a knife wall down the side and then ran the chisel cross grain to start to create a trench and this worked surprisingly well.PXL_20230801_004410231.jpgPXL_20230801_011618235.jpg

This also gave me a chance to play with the new router plane and the spear point cutter I feel works much better than the plow I had with my other one. It doesn't, well, plow as much. Go figure.

I will update as more interesting things happen, and when I can find the time

Blog Entries
    Looks like a fun project. If your timelines run anything like mine, she will be big enough to play with it by the time you're done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks like a fun project. If your timelines run anything like mine, she will be big enough to play with it by the time you're done.

jtk
    I suffer from the same issue. And now that I have less time for the shop I at least have a comfortable dead line 😂

I have 1 kid who currently seams done with the play kitchen and 1 just starting with it. 3 and 5. They like serving, make sure they are able to put something on a plate and bring it to you. That is very good for their imagination. A phone, for whatever reason a wall phone my first child will still carry around. Knobs are also a good thing, if you can make them click it will not only be a fun project but your child will love it. Aside from that a small set of dog bowls on the side was something mine really enjoyed, Id suggest 2 holes in a small panel with 3" ss bowls
    41l1ykbmPtL._AC_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    PXL_20230629_224206563.MP.jpg

Well I think I was sent home from the hospital with the right child the way she looks at my hand planes 

Screenshot_20230731-200101.jpg

A play kitchen looks like fun, but it would be silly to buy one when dad has scrap wood and tools

PXL_20230504_001431724.jpg

Didn't take too many pictures of the build up to this point but it was uninteresting case work up to this point.

Tonight when I can sneak away to the basement was fun with dados. I usually use a big back saw from my miter box to cut the walls but on this big piece trying to get the saw to track the line was kind of a pain. I decided to try a chisel and cut a knife wall down the side and then ran the chisel cross grain to start to create a trench and this worked surprisingly well.PXL_20230801_004410231.jpgPXL_20230801_011618235.jpg

This also gave me a chance to play with the new router plane and the spear point cutter I feel works much better than the plow I had with my other one. It doesn't, well, plow as much. Go figure.

I will update as more interesting things happen, and when I can find the time
    Nice demonstration of hand work Jason. I like hand cut dados. Interesting you used the spear point on the router plane effectively - I have refrained from using mine out of ignorance. Did you find it more effective than the straight blade? Are there specific times when the spear point is preferred?

Blog Entries
    A phone, for whatever reason a wall phone my first child will still carry around. Knobs are also a good thing, if you can make them click it will not only be a fun project but your child will love it.
    A smoke grinder isn't too difficult to make.

Smoke Grinder.jpg

My kids all liked to hand grind my coffee ages ago.

The smoke grinder can also be adapted to draw ellipses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Nice demonstration of hand work Jason. I like hand cut dados. Interesting you used the spear point on the router plane effectively - I have refrained from using mine out of ignorance. Did you find it more effective than the straight blade? Are there specific times when the spear point is preferred?
    Thank you Mark! Hand cut dados are not the most interesting but a important joint.

I found the spear point pushed much easier than the straight blade, especially cross grain, and I guess at least in theory is would be like using a skewed rabbet plane vs a straight rabbet plane.

I don't have enough experience to definitively answer if there are specific times it preferred, I can confidently say it did work better in this case than my 1/2" straight blade.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have 1 kid who currently seams done with the play kitchen and 1 just starting with it. 3 and 5. They like serving, make sure they are able to put something on a plate and bring it to you. That is very good for their imagination. A phone, for whatever reason a wall phone my first child will still carry around. Knobs are also a good thing, if you can make them click it will not only be a fun project but your child will love it. Aside from that a small set of dog bowls on the side was something mine really enjoyed, Id suggest 2 holes in a small panel with 3" ss bowls
    41l1ykbmPtL._AC_.jpg
    PXL_20230725_234050614.jpgPXL_20230617_145430196.jpg

I was able to make this wooden stand mixer toy and made a "cupcake" that is three different pieces , and I plan on making a few more and painting them so the pieces can be mixed and matched

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    PXL_20230725_234050614.jpgPXL_20230617_145430196.jpg

I was able to make this wooden stand mixer toy and made a "cupcake" that is three different pieces , and I plan on making a few more and painting them so the pieces can be mixed and matched
    They will love it. Milk paints are kid safe and they have decent coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    They will love it. Milk paints are kid safe and they have decent coverage.
    I really like milk paints! I have several colors at home and there is a local store here that sells them.