Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

31 Jul 2023

Greetings,
    Hot and humid here and supposed to be 105* here on Saturday and that means my shop will be around 115*. Nothing but the day job this past week and a lawn mowing. Played bass at church on Sunday. Got a wee-bit of downtime to rest Sunday afternoon. Nothing else to report and no cooking out unless riding on the mower in the summer heat counts as cooking.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week.

Best of week to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like it's a little, um...toasty...at your house, Dennis. Definitely best to pursue indoor sports...

I had a bit more of a quiet week this past week, some of it helping our younger daughter and her SO prepare to leave on Sunday for their multi-month camping trip, a little faddling in the shop with some drawer organization and doing the "baby sister table" project.

Oh, and on Friday, I handed my MY19 Subaru Ascent Touring and some money to the dealer in exchange for the MY23 Subaru Ascent Touring I ordered a few months ago. They did a nice job with the minor refresh in quite a few ways I don't need to explain in a woodworking forum. Old on the left; new on the right.

IMG_E5357.jpg

Saturday night, we had a "dual birthday celebration" for our daughters since the younger will be away and both girls have birthdays within the next two weeks. It was a nice dinner out at a local smokehouse/craftbrewer followed by cheesecake at home. Sunday...darling daughter and her SO headed out.

IMG_E1694.jpg

This week I hope to get a little landscaping maintenance done before it gets overly humid again by week end and get back in the shop for a few things that need to get started.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Added another level to my work bench organizer. Hoping the screwdriver set is too high for my grandson to reach...

20230730_162017.jpg

That looks really good, Christopher!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fortunately my shop is climate controlled. Putting in a lot of hours in preparation for the Handworks event in Sept. Three different sets of Cabinet makers turn screws. These feature hollows into parallel tips as per gunsmith drivers and an anti roll feature so they stay on top of your bench. Olive wood, Infused Masur birch and infused curly maple.

Ron

IMG_2747.jpg

Slaving away on the repair/upgrade of a backyard cottage. Weather here is warm but not extreme.

Drove over an hour to buy a cute little drill press. Hope it will be an upgrade over the Atlas that I put quite a lot of work into, but has a bent spindle and some run out. I even got my friend with machinist capabilities to turn the spindle for some improvement. This thing is heavy! I used a mini chain hoist to lower it off the bench.

For my son's birthday, we chipped in and got him a toilet. I wrapped it (old blueprints are the default paper for large gifts) and brought it in on a hand truck. Installation included. Corny card with scatological references.

IMG_4345.jpgIMG_4346.jpegIMG_4352.jpgIMG_4353.jpg

I finished with my turntable cabinet (custom brass legs finally came in!) and listened to Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits. I'll try to post pictures later.

Chiropractor Tuesday, Dermatologist Wednesday, Cardiologist Thursday, and to top my fun filled week off, on Friday replaced the roof sheets (5V tin) in one of the valleys on daughters house. Luckily the heat index was only 103, instead of the forcasted 105. On Monday, sprayed Round Up on in town garden site, as it hadn't been touched since last fall, due to death of owner of the property. New owner gave me permission to raise fall collards there again this year. Took daughter and her hubby to dinner on Tuesday night for his birthday.

Submitted plans to the city for a permit to build a deck in our back yard. The proposed deck is 16 x 20 feet, about 15" above grade, made of PT framework and Fiberon decking. We enlisted our neighbor, who has construction experience, to help us. We just had the backyard re-graded and the area that will be under the deck dug out, covered with fabric and filled with river rock.