Thread: In praise of James Spangler

In praise of James Spangler

Hi all, as some of you know, I am located in a far far away tool desert.

this makes finding and building my user collection fairly difficult and sometimes extremely expensive. my membership in the creek has given my one of the best resources I have in terms of information and ideas, and by far the best in terms of community. thank you all for that.

This post is about a specific creeker who really did go above and beyond to help me - a Mr. James Spangler.

I reached out to him after I saw he sold a tool, on the creek that I was looking for. Jim offered to source one for me, and rehab it (it was an 8" curved witherby drawknife).
    it took him about 4 months to find one - he took the time to look for one that was promising both in price and in initial condition (he did the tool rehab for me).

Jim I want to say thank you - your help is invaluable and your patients immense. you have given me the ability to source tools I trust from a man I trust, and the knowledge that the tools will work and work well.

I don't know if you are making a habit of sourcing tools but if you do I can wholeheartedly recommend you

Truly thank you

attached are two of the tools Jim sourced, rehabbed and shipped to me, all according to my requested specs.

WhatsdApp Image 2023-07-30 at 11.54.05.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 11.54.05.jpg

I too am a fan of James. I purchased a #5 from him and was over joyed with the plane when I received it. It is my go to tool when hand planing is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Hi all, as some of you know, I am located in a far far away tool desert.

this makes finding and building my user collection fairly difficult and sometimes extremely expensive. my membership in the creek has given my one of the best resources I have in terms of information and ideas, and by far the best in terms of community. thank you all for that.

This post is about a specific creeker who really did go above and beyond to help me - a Mr. James Spangler.

I reached out to him after I saw he sold a tool, on the creek that I was looking for. Jim offered to source one for me, and rehab it (it was an 8" curved witherby drawknife).
    it took him about 4 months to find one - he took the time to look for one that was promising both in price and in initial condition (he did the tool rehab for me).

Jim I want to say thank you - your help is invaluable and your patients immense. you have given me the ability to source tools I trust from a man I trust, and the knowledge that the tools will work and work well.

I don't know if you are making a habit of sourcing tools but if you do I can wholeheartedly recommend you

Truly thank you

attached are two of the tools Jim sourced, rehabbed and shipped to me, all according to my requested specs.

WhatsdApp Image 2023-07-30 at 11.54.05.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 11.54.05.jpg
    Assaf, are there other tools you need? Perhaps I can help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    ...he took the time to look for one that was promising both in price and in initial condition (he did the tool rehab for me).
    Hear, hear!!

See Lumber Yard post about Kansas & Keen Kutter K3 - he was the driving force there also.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I realy appreciate the tools that I have acquired from James. Top quality workmanship without being over done
    Thanks
    Ron

I bought a restored #4 from Jim. Looks beautiful and cuts perfectly; can't sing his praises enough.