Thread: MiniMax MM16 tires and guides

MiniMax MM16 tires and guides

I recently picked up a MiniMax MM16 bandsaw. I hope I got a decent deal on it. I bought it without having the chance see it run. It was in a barn with no power, and it didn't have a chord. I had already made a deal on a Delta 14" bandsaw that looked brand new, when I saw the MiniMax mostly buried in back of the barn. The owner wouldn't dig it out unless I paid first, so I took the gamble.

This is the first resaw capable bandsaw I've ever owned, so I'm learning and figuring as I go here. The obvious big issues are; 1- The bottom tire is gone, and 2- The thrust bearings are fried. The bottom bearing was VERY fried with grooves cut into it. The smaller issues include, whatever the part is that keeps sawdust from going down into the base of the saw, where a dust collector can't get it out, is missing. Also, at some point, something fell onto the top of the saw and broke the plastic hinges that hold the upper door.

I've found replacement thrust bearings from SpaceAge Ceramics. They seem like the most inexpensive way to get this saw up and going, but don't know if I should consider doing a full guide replacement.

I haven't tried calling around looking for direct replacement tires yet, but from what I've seen in posts on this forum, it seems they be difficult to get in a timely manner. I've seen some discussion of filling the grooves in the wheels and running standard tires, also, since I'm planning on using this saw exclusively for resawing, with 1" blades, maybe filling the groove isnt even necessary? An OEM tire seems the way to go, but open to ideas.

I found OEM hinges for the top door on Amazon of all places.

Since this saw is long out of production, I'm assuming the sawdust diverter isn't available, but honestly I haven't looked yet. I'm thinking this is something I can probably make. If someone could post a picture that part of their saw, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing up and going.

Bill,

I have a 2012 version of this saw (by that time identified as S400P) and it is a good machine.

The saw dust diverter is a piece of wood that slides into grooves. Nothing complicated to solve.

I have recently replaced the tires on my saw. Paul at SCM was very helpful. The delivery time varies depending on stock at the warehouse. Personally, I would go with the OEM tire and not try to fiddle with the cast iron wheel, but that is just me.

As for the guides there are a few options: my saw was delivered with Carter guides. Depending on the year of manufacturing for your saw you may have Euro-guides. Should that be the case, you can either replace with guides similar to the original or continue with ceramic guides that can be mounted into the original guide holders.

Regards,

Jacques

Thanks for the info Jacques. I'll call Paul at SCM Monday. My saw has the euro guides. What sort of guides are your Carter's? Are they ceramic, or rollers, or something else?

For what its worth Bill, ai replaced ruined Euro guides on my Agazanni saw with ceramics and have been pleased. There are other vendors of tires online. I can’t remember the seller but you can get a blue tire that is apparently well regarded. Nice saw btw

Greg

Bill,

The Carter guides were :

Micro-Precision 20 for the upper guides and Micro-Precision 30 for the lower guides. They use a combination of thrust bearing and silicon-impregnated rub pads. Should you choose to go that way, you will likely have to adapt the mounting hardware as well.

My recollection is that the original equipment Euro guides were fairly expensive, but this needs to be validated. Euro guides can also be purchased from suppliers based in Europe and compatibility will need to be confirmed.

I have a feeling that going the way Greg described is probably the easiest - and possibly most cost effective.

Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    For what its worth Bill, ai replaced ruined Euro guides on my Agazanni saw with ceramics and have been pleased. There are other vendors of tires online. I can’t remember the seller but you can get a blue tire that is apparently well regarded. Nice saw btw

Greg
    What ceramics did you go with Greg?

i have the same saw - likely the first generation of it. i use the saw only for ressaw - using as 1" carbide blade. came with euro guides, but after a bit i changed to carters - but i found them pretty cumbersome to set - too many allen wrenches - after those i got laguna ceramics and they have been great - not modifications necessary and easy to set with good blade support.
    the only issue i have had is one of the door safety latches went out - but it was an easy replacement.
    once it's up and going enjoy the saw - it's a great machine
    jc
    jerry

I used the Laguna ones because they were the only ones I could find (it was six years ago). They didn’t take any modifications to fit the mounting hardware on my 24” saw. The Italian saws I have seen all have lots of range in the guide mounting possibilities.

At the time the Euro guide replacements were around $500 shipped. The ceramics were much less.

Here's a link for replacement tires.
    https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-ULTRA-UR...f_=as_li_ss_tl

James,

It is hard to tell from the image but the tires do not seem to have the rib on the inside face and it is unclear whether they have a flat surface.

Pricewise, there is not much difference with the OEM which I believe sell for around 45 dollars each.

I would be interested to know if anyone here has used the replacement tires from Amazon on a MM16 and what their thoughts were on them.