Thread: Paying to stream nfl football

Blog Entries

Paying to stream nfl football

I grew up in Kansas, lived in the Kansas City region for forty years and moved to the dc area 7 years ago. I still watch KC Chiefs games when I can. Fortunately, the chiefs are really good so they windup on nationally broadcast games fairly often. But there are games I can’t see because I’m out of the market.

I would happily pay to stream the chiefs games but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that and only that. I can pay a small fortune to get all nfl games plus a bunch of shows I don’t want.

so, two questions:
    1. It seems to me that someone is missing out on a lot of revenue. Surely there are people like me that would like the rights to see just one team.
    2. Are there any vpn services that would make it look like I’m in the KC area?

NFL+, which gives you live and replay streaming of everything is only $80 for the entire season if you sign up now. I get that that's way more games than interest you, but even if all you watch is a weekly Chiefs game, that's less than $5 per game - a couple bucks an hour. Hardly seems exhorbitant.

I do not watch football. I don't understand the attraction, It simply isn't my thing, (my son is a fanatic and has season tickets to the Commanders) The only sports I ever watch are the olympics and then mostly the winter olympics. But my cable company charges me $10 a month for a sports access fee, that simply is of no use to me. They promise 238 channels for a low price and then tack this hidden fee on without telling customers and worse yet refuse to remove it. (They also say you will also get the local channels, and then tack on a hidden fee for that.) $120 dollars a year for a service I never agreed to and never use. That is exhorbitant. I have tried to fight these hidden ad ons, that is a long story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    NFL+, which gives you live and replay streaming of everything is only $80 for the entire season if you sign up now. I get that that's way more games than interest you, but even if all you watch is a weekly Chiefs game, that's less than $5 per game - a couple bucks an hour. Hardly seems exhorbitant.
    Steve,
    As I read it, NFL+ gives you all nfl games after they are played, not live. You get live national and in-market games. To get live out-of-market games, you have to add on their “Sunday Ticket” which is big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    2. Are there any vpn services that would make it look like I’m in the KC area?
    I'm a Packer fan that has moved out west. I tried the vpn thing. It worked ok for a few years, but then they caught on. I was using YoutubeTV and it could tell I was vpn'ing in from another market. Another streaming service might be less sophisticated.

My company had virtual desktops and that kind of worked, but the latency really ruined the experience. The video was choppy and the sound wasn't in synch.

When the Packers were good, they would be on national tv enough to satisfy me. This year, I'll probably pay to get their radio feed. That's much cheaper than the $299 Sunday Ticket package.

Roger,

Yeah, my bad. The local live restriction never impacted me, because I never watch anything live (I can't stand TV ads), so I overlooked its meaning to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Roger,

Yeah, my bad. The local live restriction never impacted me, because I never watch anything live (I can't stand TV ads), so I overlooked its meaning to you.
    yeah, Chiefs games are about the only thing I watch live. There are bars and restaurants around here that run games sometimes but I’m not really plugged into the bar scene since I don’t drink.

The service that would be neat is one that offers the plays only. Condensed viewing in other words. The average NFL game is 3 hr 20 min, with 100 commercials and 11 min total play time.

When my brother worked on Sunday we taped the game for him. He could watch it in about 15-20 minutes.
    Bill D