Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for experienced opinion on jointer choice by 7/31/2023

I assume dux seal is a mastic used to seal air ducts. Thus a heavy bodied paste to add Mass and dampen vibrations. I use water base roofing "tar". I used to have grafting seal which worked fine until I used it up. Not the tar based kind. Truck bed liner?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I can only speak to my 17 years using a G0490X on a near-daily basis. A clone of the old Delta DJ-20 it is a solid design and has been completely trouble free. Noise from the sheet metal panels (if any) has never bothered me since I wear hearing protection as you always should. The air movement from my DC is louder than the machine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Buy a quality, used, long-bed machine. Helical is better, even if you have to convert.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Buy a quality, used, long-bed machine. Helical is better, even if you have to convert.
    Curious - Grizzly offers "spiral cutterhead". Is this equivalent in function/quality of cut to the Byrd Shelix? Seems it must be less costly given the total price of the jointer.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Curious - Grizzly offers "spiral cutterhead". Is this equivalent in function/quality of cut to the Byrd Shelix? Seems it must be less costly given the total price of the jointer.
    Based on all previous experience with Grizzly I cannot recommend them. Suggest you look for a quality used machine instead.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I always wear ear protection. The general was what it is then the SCM you turn it on and get a quiet hum. Totally different sound, different feel from the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Dallas? the oliver is interesting 16" for only$2 ,500, probably babbitt bearings.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...648190016.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tl...634677637.html

the oliver manual is dated 1916
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=932
    Bill, thank you for the links! You are apparently either luckier than I or (more likely) more adept with Craigslist than I. The Oliver would indeed be an interesting one, but I don't think I could fit it into my shop. I've contacted the seller of the Grizzly G1018 and it seems like it would be a fine entry one, and potentially suit my needs for a very long time and at a much more enjoyable price. I definitely would rather put the money into wood than fancier/newer steel.

Good choice.
    For your jointer you don’t want to mess with that Oliver it’s not a entry level machine.
    If you get the grizzly before transporting look for the table lock mechanism on the infeed. It will be on opposite of The infeed. And lock it by moving the table until the pin drops in.I also recommend don’t lift the machine from the ends of the tables. Middle or bottom yes ends no.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Again, just speaking from my experience. I used a G0490X with what grizzly offered back in 2007 or 2008. It was not a Byrd but a German made head of some sort with 40 cutters in four overlapping spirals. I got to compare the Grizz head in a G0490X and a Byrd in another 8" Griz machine side by side. I could find no difference in the feel of the operation or in the result.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, Glenn. That’s the hands-on experience I was looking for

Kent

Smallest U-haul trailer is $28/24 hours with insurance. Buy some harbor fright load straps and go to town.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-31-2023 at 9:54 AM.

bill I believe so can get it big box store though we used to buy it wholesale in five lb pugs. Now smaller quantity maybe a lb forgotten but have it in the shop one sample I got. sticky and put it any build where you want. They ordered stuff for me and what came was a brush on one forget that it will never work as well you dont get the build up.

This saw is solid but there are a few panels I can make a sound and ill still do the base as well. weight makes all the difference in machines, every heavy machine is nicer to use. I think Patrick said his martin weighed 3,500 lbs if I remember correctly like to feel how smooth that would be. Im using a general cabinet saw same time for the odd thing nothing set up on it just the mitre gauge. saw works fine but its not the same thing.

So, Who is the winner or you are still deciding?

Dont allow that date to dictate your choice. They go on sale at Woodcraft/rockler every other month.

Used market is a good spot for these machines in your price range. I would say go as wide as you can afford. If not helical something that can be swapped for helical later. I lucked out a while back needing both a jointer and an upgrade for my lunchbox planer my budget for both allowed for a Hammer JP combo. If you have a decent Planer you could sell that and add to your budget. ive seen them go for 4,000 in excelent condition. They are definitely not in the budget new. Some people here like old/some like new. I would go with something you like, that you can easily get parts for, and if its straight blade make sure they are not crazy expensive.

FWIW I have a Grizzly G1018 that I bought used and it has worked very well for me. I added the Shellix head and it really is a good jointer.

I've heard that some folks have had issues with the 1018, so I'd give it a test drive. But mine has been a delight. YMMV.