Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tools or builds?

There IS a third category....Tool articles...Build-along articles...and...SHARPENING Articles....
    Organizer PIP, opened up.JPG
    What I have been spending my time doing...and taking photos of, and writing here about....

But....YMMV, of course...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    There IS a third category....Tool articles...Build-along articles...and...SHARPENING Articles....
    Organizer PIP, opened up.JPG
    What I have been spending my time doing...and taking photos of, and writing here about....

But....YMMV, of course...
    You had to say it, didn't you.

Here's the sharpening tutorial:
    Take dull tool to abrasive material at proper angle, remove metal until sharp.

Can we lose that one now, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Knutson View Post
    Jason and Bruce - I am also in the west metro with 4 teenage boys that have each shown some varying levels of interest in woodworking including hand tools. The thing I have learned from them is they want to know the best way to the desired output, not necessarily the fastest way. In their tiktok generation they just want to cut to the chase and not waste time with methods that dont perform as they want. They see hand tools as the right path and sometimes power tools which is fine by me as long as they stay with it.
    Their interest likely reflects their esteem for you, Adam. You give them a guided start in woodworking and they can have fun for life.

Once you let the Genie out of the bottle..it is hard to get it back in...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

Here's the sharpening tutorial:
    Take dull tool to abrasive material at proper angle, remove metal until sharp.

Has anyone made a jig to do this? I'm thinking something which would hold the chisel at the ideal angle for you. Perhaps send this idea to FWW shoptips?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Has anyone made a jig to do this? I'm thinking something which would hold the chisel at the ideal angle for you. Perhaps send this idea to FWW shoptips?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Sort of, years ago a honing guide was made with a blade holder from the Veritas MKII Power Sharpening System.

Honing Guide.jpg

The roller was made on my lathe. It worked pretty well with the wood roller. I scrounged a piece of Delron or other plastic and cut a roller from that. Using this on my four foot granite surface with some 220 or 330 grit pressure sensitive abrasive paper can heat up a blade by hand.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-03-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added comma and "four foot"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Sarcasm, I like it.

I think the idea may be too advanced for some, most tips from users are on the lines of how to store you glue bottle. This is on another level, don't tell anyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Sarcasm, I like it.

I think the idea may be too advanced for some, most tips from users are on the lines of how to store you glue bottle. This is on another level, don't tell anyone.
    If it is a good idea, it might get published. One of my ideas got published in the old Popular Woodworking.

1 - Anti-Rack Spacer Stack.jpg

If your vise is a simple wood bodied vise racking is a common problem. This helps to control any racking.

3:4 Inch Stack In Use.jpg

It is especially helpful with thin stock being held by bench dogs. The stack helps to prevent applying too much pressure and bowing the stock. It can be set to any size between 1/8" to 1-7/8" by 8ths of an inch. in use all parts of the device are below the level of the bench so it doesn't get in the way of planing or other operations.

If my memory is working it got me a check for seventy five bucks > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I'm going to return to the original question regarding tools or builds.
    Derek, my time in the shop is limited; my phone is with me so in theory I COULD take pictures, but I don't. Besides time, here are a few reasons why I don't photograph and annotate for everyone to see.
    1) The majority of my builds are mundane items for around the house; little do-dads that aren't complicated but fulfill a function - a Resonite (plastic wrap) dispenser, a cradle for my iPad. I don't feel noteworthy. I DID post in the Projects forum, my podiums.
    2) I have 3 professions in my "workshop", which is half the garage. That, plus the motorcycle, plus storing the stuff for my daughter when she moves out, etc. Nobody needs to se that background.
    3) I'm convinced that before any build pictures are posted, most of you posters clean and tidy surfaces and clear the clutter from the space. I'm happy if I can dedicate an hour once a week to put things right. I won't publicize my shavings and tools everywhere.
    Many of the "residents" of these forums have a tougher road than do I, time-wise and family issues, so I'm not using those circumstances as an excuse.

Right now I'm building a non-standard height entry door for my basement. Every surface is filled with shavings, tools not yet put away, off-cuts and hoses. The rains are coming, and I have a ton of work and (my abysmal skill level) finessing to do. I would post including my mistakes, but, really, I'll be bashful until I get a broom at it.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    3) I'm convinced that before any build pictures are posted, most of you posters clean and tidy surfaces and clear the clutter from the space. I'm happy if I can dedicate an hour once a week to put things right. I won't publicize my shavings and tools everywhere.
    This made me want to say you have never seen any of my build posts. Then it was noticed you said, "most of you posters clean and tidy… ."

There hasn't been much tidying in my shop for a while.

Gonna Need a Bigger Chisel.jpg

The floor is a mess with shavings. Tools do get put away often.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-08-2023 at 1:45 PM. Reason: bolding & undrelining

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I'm going to return to the original question regarding tools or builds.
    Derek, my time in the shop is limited; my phone is with me so in theory I COULD take pictures, but I don't. Besides time, here are a few reasons why I don't photograph and annotate for everyone to see.
    1) The majority of my builds are mundane items for around the house; little do-dads that aren't complicated but fulfill a function - a Resonite (plastic wrap) dispenser, a cradle for my iPad. I don't feel noteworthy. I DID post in the Projects forum, my podiums.
    2) I have 3 professions in my "workshop", which is half the garage. That, plus the motorcycle, plus storing the stuff for my daughter when she moves out, etc. Nobody needs to se that background.
    Many of the "residents" of these forums have a tougher road than do I, time-wise and family issues, so I'm not using those circumstances as an excuse.

Right now I'm building a non-standard height entry door for my basement. Every surface is filled with shavings, tools not yet put away, off-cuts and hoses. The rains are coming, and I have a ton of work and (my abysmal skill level) finessing to do. I would post including my mistakes, but, really, I'll be bashful until I get a broom at it.
    I can certainly relate to many of your concerns. I also believe you situation is not uncommon.
    Personally I don't have enough room to work sometimes, let alone cleaning up for others to see more than a macro shot.

I'm obviously in the tool camp. I already have a house full of furniture and really don't need more. On the other hand, I have a ton of tools that I'm getting ready to sell. Also doing some writing about them. Today I am cleaning up a Siegley combination plane, Type 10 of the first model. Then I will do a Type two of the Improved model. Might build some boxes to hold them and sets of cutters in.

That Package arrived here, safe and sound...THANK YOU!

Issues with the card reader, otherwise..there would be photos..