Thread: osb floor, paint or no paint?

osb floor, paint or no paint?

Almost done getting the floor in my shop. OSB. Should I paint or not?
    If I'm going to now is the time to do it before hauling equipment in.
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Any recommendations for paint if you think I should?

I would seal it with polyurethane. I painted the OSB with latex on my shop walls which hardened the OSB surface considerable. However, it also swelled and bowed the OSB a bit . The OSB never recovered from the swelling. This was only 1/4" OSB so your results will vary. Regardless, sealing the OSB with good paint or poly will make the surface more durable overall.

Thanks Dwayne,
    I don't know if it matters but it is AdvanTech osb 3/4".
    The last shop with concrete floor was much easier to keep clean after I painted it.

You may want it sealed in some way.

Maybe Thompsons, They also make varnish for OSB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Thanks Dwayne,
    I don't know if it matters but it is AdvanTech osb 3/4".
    The last shop with concrete floor was much easier to keep clean after I painted it.
    Advantech is good stuff. If you are worried about swelling or something if it gets wet, consider this: After getting my shed's walls up I hurt my back. From Nov. to June. Five months of winter snow and melt cycles, then a few months of spring rains in Iowa, the advantech was literally under water for extended periods (days... weeks). No puckering or swelling at any joint or screw location
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Yeah, I'd paint it, mostly to try to keep the OSB from wearing. OSB just isn't very hard, and the smaller bits are likely to flake off in use as a floor.

You might consider linoleum. It isn't too much more expensive than paint, is easier to install, and will wear better than OSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Yeah, I'd paint it, mostly to try to keep the OSB from wearing. OSB just isn't very hard, and the smaller bits are likely to flake off in use as a floor.

You might consider linoleum. It isn't too much more expensive than paint, is easier to install, and will wear better than OSB.
    I had typed out doing linoleum but I thought I may get laughed at. There are also vinyl tile options for less than a 70 cents a foot Peel and stick

Be careful not to make it too slick with paint and sawdust.
    Bill D

Since I'm not fond of the look of OSB, I'd paint it for sure. And that will also help seal it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depending on your budget you could do linoleum or, my preference and what I did, garage floor tiles. I'm with Jim in that I don't like the look of bare OSB, so at the very least I would seal it with something that had color in it for a more subdued look.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 07-28-2023 at 12:55 PM.

I'm not worried about it swelling just want it to be easier to sweep up sawdust and a lighter color will brighten the room.
    The Advantech website says to use oil based primer then paint. I'll use a latex.
    So I was thinking Bin original or Zinzer oil primer. But both say not for floors. I may use 1 of them anyway.

Well...Advantech and OSB are two different things, despite being made similar. The Advantech is smoother and doesn't degrade so easily and for "our" applications it can be left uncovered...it uses a waterproof polyurethane adhesive for the resin; LP's product is similar. Regular OSB would likely fall apart since it's very ship prone. I'd still paint it, however, because it will look far better (subjective I know) and should also be easier to keep clean.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had LP TopNotch 350 on my shop floor for about 10+ months now and it seems to be wearing well. A few flakes of wood have come loose while vacuuming that I've seen, but they haven't left a rough surface. It's not pretty but it seems to work.