Thread: Table Saw Motor uses?

Question Table Saw Motor uses?

Any good suggestions on what else an extra Sawstop 1.75hp motor could be used for? (I swapped my saw to 3hp)

I’ve got it listed locally thinking someone may want it for their own saw, but figure it will be a tough sell. However, it also occurred to me that it might be able to serve some other use or creative repurposing. It is a 3,450 rpm motor.

Anyone ever seen good uses for one, or just let it ride for sale until a buyer that needs a replacement comes along. Thanks.

A very powerful 1 speed buffing/grinding wheel? If it were half the speed there are many more options.

Perhaps an edge sander or a belt sander

You can technically make any shop tools. but the ones I would attempt would be disc sander, edge belt sander

Is it a standard NEMA frame?
    Bill D

No clue. Here is what it looks like.
    IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg

You could use it without the Sawstop contactor providing your own switch gear and wire it for 220v use also I guess. Anyway, I just didn't know what other uses there may be for one, even non woodworking stuff. Figured it was worth asking to spark ideas.

It kind of looks like the basic mounting for a wide variety of hybrid saws. Probably a nice motor also. There is a mount convention designator for that motor, but it escapes me right now.
    Motors can be a tough sell. I've listed some on Craigslist from time to time and no luck. All mine are standard NEMA 56 mounts too.
    Anything that needs a shaft to rotate, can use a motor, it's just a matter of finding the person that can utilize it.

If I blow the motor on my General 220, I'll be in touch.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Might make a nice upgrade to a bandsaw.??
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Any good suggestions on what else an extra Sawstop 1.75hp motor could be used for? (I swapped my saw to 3hp)
    How hard was it to do the conversion? I've been thinking about that with my PCS 1.75hp.

As far as the extra motor, it would probably work out good on a 2" belt sander.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Might make a nice upgrade to a bandsaw.??
    Rick, I agree but my Laguna already has a 2.5hp motor, so no go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    How hard was it to do the conversion? I've been thinking about that with my PCS 1.75hp.

As far as the extra motor, it would probably work out good on a 2" belt sander.

Doug
    Doug, the process was pretty straight forward. I found this persons post with pictures helpful. https://www.lumberjocks.com/threads/.../#post-2226512 Only thing I did different was to order the whole switch assembly rather than just the new contractor. I did this because the switch assembly by itself was like $136, the contactor was like $128, but for $145 you got the switch assembly and 220v 3hp contactor. Seemed like a no brainer and I stored the extra switch in case a part wears out down the road.

At this point, I've just decided to try to sell the motor. Put it on Facebook marketplace for $155 for motor, contactor and gas strut. Who knows, maybe someone will see some value in it and get it out of my way.

Hi Greg,
    I’ve nearly done the same a couple of times and was planning to put the motor on a dust collector. Glad to hear it was a straightforward swap. How much difference in performance do you notice going to 3 hp?

good luck with the sale!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

My prior two saws were 3hp Powermatic PM66 and a 4.8hp KF500. There is no comparison. The 1.75hp is fine if you are super patient and slow, but on my recent workbench build I bogged it down and tripped the breaker probably 25 times cutting thick, hardwood. And that was with a 24T rip blade. I should have known better and gone for the 3hp version up front. If you sold the 1.75hp it would almost be a wash price difference wise except the 1.75hp didn't come with the dust collecting blade guard which I needed for my new layout. Sigh................ LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Greg,
    I’ve nearly done the same a couple of times and was planning to put the motor on a dust collector. Glad to hear it was a straightforward swap. How much difference in performance do you notice going to 3 hp?

good luck with the sale!

Doug, the process was pretty straight forward. I found this persons post with pictures helpful.
    Thanks for the info./link I'll save that for later.

At this point, I've just decided to try to sell the motor. Put it on Facebook marketplace for $155 for motor, contactor and gas strut.
    Just a quick FYI, that style of motor may fit on the older Delta Unisaws?

120997_side_a__15060.jpg
    You would need to take some measurements to be sure but in that case, it may open up more selling options.

Doug

Thanks Greg, that’s helpful. I’ve mostly done ply with the SS and have a good bandsaw that can handle the thicker stuff…but sure would be nice to have both.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra