Thread: Bought 5 router plane irons and got a free plane

Bought 5 router plane irons and got a free plane

I was working on a recent project and while fumbling with my router plane iron in my 71-1/2, the iron fell out of tool, bounced off the bench and landed on the concrete floor

PXL_20230724_224837119.jpg

New replacement irons are about $18-19 from Lee valley which is reasonable, but yesterday while browsing market place I saw a deal I couldn't pass up.
    PXL_20230724_225024558.jpg

For $80, I got 5 blades, plus the plane, butt markers, 2 fences, some 78 parts, and some neat little leaflets.

I'm happy, now back to work

Whats a Butt marker? Good deal to make up for that awful feeling

What a great haul! I'm still looking for a fence and extra irons for my No. 67. Might try LV for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Whats a Butt marker? Good deal to make up for that awful feeling
    I'm not an expert but I believe they are used to make a template on a door for installing butt hinges. It came with a little book I need to read on how to use them, but I didn't get time last night

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I'm not an expert but I believe they are used to make a template on a door for installing butt hinges. It came with a little book I need to read on how to use them, but I didn't get time last night
    Interesting, I thought originally why not trace with a marking knife but this is pretty clever
    https://blaknissan.wordpress.com/201...e-butt-marker/

Blog Entries
    Nice score Jason, looks like you have a depth stop and fence that escaped from a Stanley #78 and an extra fence for the router plane. What I don't see is the mounting screws for the router plane fences.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Interesting, I thought originally why not trace with a marking knife but this is pretty clever
    https://blaknissan.wordpress.com/201...e-butt-marker/
    A shot of the instructions explains it a lot better than my mumbling words:

Stanley 37- Butt Marker.jpg

It is faster than a Stanley #95 Butt Gauge. No, that is not something you bring out if your spouse asks if "these pants make her butt look big."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice score Jason, looks like you have a depth stop and fence that escaped from a Stanley #78 and an extra fence for the router plane. What I don't see is the mounting screws for the router plane fences.

A shot of the instructions explains it a lot better than my mumbling words:

Stanley 37- Butt Marker.jpg

It is faster than a Stanley #95 Butt Gauge. No, that is not something you bring out if your spouse asks if "these pants make her butt look big."

jtk
    Good eye Jim. The screw is there, it might have been in the box or under something when I took the picture. The threads need to be cleaned up though, it was threading a little hard

Nice find and great deal, Jason!

Nice. I need an iron, if you want to cut loose with one. I have a couple of butt markers- the main thing I've used them for is to drill holes in them to size dowels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Good eye Jim. The screw is there, it might have been in the box or under something when I took the picture. The threads need to be cleaned up though, it was threading a little hard
    I wonder if it is the correct thread. Do you have a thread gauge?

Stanley often used 28 or 20 threads per inch on their fasteners.

My router plane is a Sargent so I have no way of knowing what Stanley used on their router.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    What a great haul! I'm still looking for a fence and extra irons for my No. 67. Might try LV for the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Nice. I need an iron, if you want to cut loose with one. I have a couple of butt markers- the main thing I've used them for is to drill holes in them to size dowels.
    If I decide to part with any of the extra parts I will let you guys know. Sorry, I'm not trying to hoard spare parts, but after on fell to the floor and broke I don't want to send one away and regret it later.