Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD or Phase Converter for 3 phase jointer planer combo?

When I researched this for my MiniMax J/P I found that there was enough concern expressed about the electronics working properly with a VFD that I went with a RPC. Aside from being annoyingly loud the American Rotary model I got has been perfect. They were great to work with. The model they recommended for my 7.5 hp machine has a 20hp idler motor and required a 60A breaker, so that's a consideration if you're light on power.

Erik has already stated that using a VFD isn't in the cards for this Felder Machine. He knows the product, having sold many of them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I researched a similar question for a minimax J/P with similar specs but with no electronic controls before finding a used single phase machine. Jack Fosberg quoted ~$1200 for the two VFDs needed to run the main motor and feed motor for the 16" minimax. After much research and hand-wringing, my conclusion was that VFDs make sense for smaller single motor machines (like drill presses). I would look into the phase perfect, which is about $1,800, but is quiet if you can afford.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

my 10Hp roto was over 2,000.00 probably 30 plus years ago.

I have about $600 in a used 10hp 3 phase motor and distribution panel and a starter panel from WNY supply. That setup supplies a 5 hp planer and compressor and a 6+ hp slide saw. Vfds make more sense for smaller motors that need speed control. I have them on an exhaust fan, edge sander and lathe, all 3 hp or less.

A vfd can control 2 motors at the same time but they both have to start and stop at the same time. Also electronic controls of any kind are a BIG NONO, motors only

I also would not recommend downsizing a vfd or phase convertor. I have seen people argue this point on here many times however as an electrician for 45 years I can tell you devices have a horsepower and amperage for a reason

depends who builds the roto. Always read 20 HP roto for a 10 HP motor, not true depends on the manufacturer of the roto and what they have put in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Erik has already stated that using a VFD isn't in the cards for this Felder Machine. He knows the product, having sold many of them.
    That’s not quite correct Jim.

I recently helped an American user with a new AD941.

I helped him convert the machine to a VFD, what you do is continue to run all the control and electronics from the single phase input.

The VFD is configured to run the machine motor, accepting the run signal from the existing motor contactor.

It keeps all the safety and stop start functions from the existing machine.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That’s not quite correct Jim.

I recently helped an American user with a new AD941.

I helped him convert the machine to a VFD, what you do is continue to run all the control and electronics from the single phase input.

The VFD is configured to run the machine motor, accepting the run signal from the existing motor contactor.

It keeps all the safety and stop start functions from the existing machine.

Regards, Rod.
    Good luck on getting tech support for that from Felder.

Mike

I am in the phase converter camp. VFD's are regularly spoken of lately as a substitute, presumably as a cheaper way to get the job done. If you know you will never buy another machine in this lifetime, okay, I get it, and I'd research the VFD option a bit.
    Otherwise, I'm reinforcing a previous statement from another post - once you get that 3 phase issue resolved, a huge door opens for other machines of the grade you just purchased. Once you get a taste of that level of performance with this machine, you will want to stay at that level as more acquisitions come into view = more 3 phase gear.
    Betting by the time you horse around with VFD's on 2 or more machines, you're not saving much over simply getting a robust phase convertor as a once and done solution.

I had to swap out an older rotary to digital when I got my Felder machine, as the rotary output was not within tolerances required by the new shaper, and no local electricians were trained/proficient at balancing the output to suit. This meant I could have fried it and had no warranty. This is not the time to be cheating and shortcutting the power delivery system when implementing modern equipment and all it's delicate intricacies. This ain't your grandpa's 2 wire table saw.

Bottom line: If you're likely to grow and continue upgrading your shop with machines of this caliber, the wisest step is to get the 3 phase issue covered now, albeit painful.