Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta DJ-20 retaining screws

Delta DJ-20 retaining screws

Unfortunately I have buggered the head of one of the hex head screws that secure the knives. Any feedback on how to get the bad screw out and does anyone know a source for replacements?

thanks

Maybe grind down two opposing flats so the next size smaller wrench will fit with a Dremel or die grinder small grinding wheel.

Success... I used that idea in reverse and took a 3/8" open end wrench and filed it a bit larger. The 10mm open end was always a bit sloppy but 3/8" was too small. 7/16" way too big. 10mm was the closest fit I could find. I would like to replace all these screws to keep the balance. Everywhere I look, they are discontinued / out of stock. Anyone know a source or a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Thinking out loud here. Are the screws metric or imperial sized? Could the screw holes be drilled out and tapped for the next sized metric??

Looks like you can find replacements on ebay. I would just balance the ones you have, and make sure you have a good wrench to fit them.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did clean up the buggered screw head and with the newly sized wrench, I should be fine going forward. I am curious as to why the 10mm wrench was loose and the 3/8" too small. It didn't take much to open it up but it was clearly too small to start and the screw heads were in good shape. Thanks again for all the advice.

Sometimes new math helps:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Was it a quality 10mm wrench, never abused? Wonder if it was bad heat treat and warping.
    Bill D

Craftsman from 25-30 years ago. Jointer is probably more like 40 (my dad bought it new). Says "Made in USA" on the plate. My guess is that it isn't intended to be a metric head. As I mentioned, it didn't take a lot to get the 3/8" wrench to fit but it did not fit to start. I have been using the 10mm wrench for the 17 years that I have had it. What are other folks using to change the knives on this machine?

Mine is the older 8" wedge bed Delta. It uses a 5/16 wrench. I'm surprised that yours would be different. Mine uses 3/32" thick blades though. I'm not sure when they changed to 1/8".

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Seltzer View Post
    I have been using the 10mm wrench for the 17 years that I have had it. What are other folks using to change the knives on this machine?
    I use a 10 mm wrench on mine, also, and I believe that is what's intended. To be honest, my wrench is a little loose also, but I chalk that up to it being an ancient inexpensive "Great Neck" tool that measures sloppily wide with a digital caliper whereas the bolt head itself is very close to exact. And note that the cast iron portion of these machines was made in Taiwan, or, in the early years, Brazil, as indicated on the tag located on the rear, so it stands to reason it'd likely be metric. (The other tag, with USA, is for the sheet metal base to which it's affixed and motor.) As for a replacement, maybe McMaster-Carr would have something suitable.

AFAIK The dj20 was never made in North America. First made in Taiwan then Brazil. Just possible that Taiwan made machines could use english size hardware in the early 1970's. Doubtful for a machine never designed to be made in the USA.
    Bill D

The grizzly g0490 is a clone of the dj-20 the parts are interchangeable, you might want to get new gibs too while you're at it

There is a dj-20 complete head ...gibs, screws, blades on ebay right now

Tell him to keep the body and send the gibs, screws and blades in a flat rate box....he is asking too much for shipping the entire head.....just a thought