Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall Anchors for Drywall

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I've had bad luck with the self drilling anchors, both plastic and metal. They often spin when you go to tighten a screw in them.
    It's really critical to be sure to use the correct screw size, both in gage and length with these anchors to avoid that issue. Many of the screws that come with various things that get hung are too large in diameter and/or too long.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Never before heard of Togglers, nor the hole saw bits Tom M pointed out.

Guy could learn some stuff hanging around you fellers.

Thanks
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Never before heard of Togglers, nor the hole saw bits Tom M pointed out.

Guy could learn some stuff hanging around you fellers.

Thanks

I used one of those hole saws the other day to drill drainage holes in a flower pot for a client.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I used one of those hole saws the other day to drill drainage holes in a flower pot for a client.
    That's actually a better grooming tip than you might have thought. Wife is horticulturalist, and our patio is covered by plant-filled containers from good-sized to holy cow. Drainage is second in importance only to watering.

thanks
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

The toolbox with the Toggler stuff in it is a handy thing to have a lot of times. For putting up this beaded board ceiling to cover stained sheetrock popcorn in a rental house, the sheets of plywood didn't work out correctly on ceiling joists for even spacing of the batten covers over the joints. I used what joists were in the right places, and used Togglers with flathead machine screws to hold it up where it needed support between joists. The 1/6 MDF battens were just held up with Powergrab.

The ugly light fixture was already in that house. We just reused it.

When my then 104 year old Mother had to move in with us on short notice, it was a mad scramble for two days refitting part of the house for a suite for her. 15 minutes of that time was taken putting up handicap rails in the shower and bath thanks to the toggler toolbox.

That diamond grit holesaw is made for tile, but it is also used for sheetrock just because it's in the box with the other stuff. I tried some of the cheaper Chinese ones sold on Amazon, but they might have been good for one hole in tile. The Bosch ones cost more, but lasts a lot longer.

The Toggler toolbox is one of about 140. Each one is organized for one function.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-20-2023 at 3:36 PM.

I've tried many and the Fisher DuoBlade is my go-to now. Made in Germany. They self-start even in older harder drywall or dense acoustic drywall. I don't like hanging very heavy/cantilevered things off drywall, so they work well for my needs.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    I've tried many and the Fisher DuoBlade is my go-to now. Made in Germany. They self-start even in older harder drywall or dense acoustic drywall. I don't like hanging very heavy/cantilevered things off drywall, so they work well for my needs.
    Far out. Leave it to the German engineers.

Since you seem to have found a lot of good answers, here's one that is not exactly what you asked: In a few cases in my house I have screwed a 1x2 or a strip of 1/2" ply to the studs, then screwed the drapery rod hangers into that wherever I wanted them. A little spackle over the screw holes, match the paint, and it's hard to see if you're not looking for it. Some types of drapes almost hide it completely.

Here's my wall anchor kit. Mostly picture hanging, and grab bars in tile. There is also a small assortment of toggle & mollys that are rarely used.

IMG_4318.jpeg

Anyone ever compare Toggler's Snapskru vs their Alligator? I know the Snapskru is supposedly self drilling, but I've seen similar products (EZ Anchors which I have used a lot, and still have a bunch of) have issues with that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like the new togglers, and the fischers anchors, I was not aware of these new products. I'm going to add them to my parts box. I have used the plastic self-drilling anchors like Paul mentioned. I agree they are ok for lighter loads.