Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for recommendations for a cheap durable shopknife

looking for recommendations for a cheap durable shopknife

Hi all, looking for a recommendation for a shopknife that can take some abuse. mostly I mean to tap its spine with a hammer for making pegs, that sort of thing. not looking for a high end item.

features I'm looking for:
    rock solid
    folding
    robust locking mechanism
    fairly easy to sharpen
    have a spine that can take a beating
    suitable for riving small wooden parts
    relatively cheap

bonus:
    if it is on amazon with international shipping

thank you,

Assaf, Lee Valley sell a knife designed with your needs: https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop...e?item=06D0710

Although this style of knife is sometimes called a cable knife because it can be used for peeling electrical wire, it has unique advantages for woodworking. The sturdy curved-tip blade is not only safer than a straight blade in paring jobs, but is both better and easier to use than a pencil for marking cut-lines.
    It is 1/8" thick at the spine and can be struck with a hammer for splitting wedges, cutting rope, etc. The 2 1/2" blade is stainless steel with a hardness of Rc54-56.
    With hardwood handle scales that transmit heat and cold less than the usual plastic handles, it is comfortable to hold, a good working knife. Open length is 7".

Note that it has a curved blade ...

I did not like the curve and reground and shaped this area ...

Great knife.

Regards from Perth

Derek

When I was a kid we called those hawk bill knives! And, yes they are handy. Your regrind made it a spayed blade, Derek. Memories of more than half a century ago.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thank you, its going on my shopping list.

https://www.eseeknives.com/

The 5" is 1/4" thick. I have one for camp fires, you can beat on it all day with a log to split wood.

Hey George, you may have missed the part about "cheap!!" I doubt $272 qualifies.

Left click my name for homepage link.

If you can do without the folding feature, you’ll get a lot more knife for your money.

I use Morakniv’s around the shop. Cheap, easy to sharpen, thick spine, and you can regrind them if you don’t like the single flat bevel.

For folding knives, I prefer the Benchmade Axis mechanism. It locks up really tight, no wobble.

I recently got a Brisa Wharncliffe blade and put a walnut handle on it. A Wharncliffe blade profile is good for general work, and Brisa’s version has a nice thick back that would hold up to some heavy use. It is not a folding knife, so may not work for you.

I just wanted to throw the idea out, since putting a wooden handle on a blade is a pretty quick/easy project and a way to get a nice knife relatively inexpensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Hi all, looking for a recommendation for a shopknife that can take some abuse. mostly I mean to tap its spine with a hammer for making pegs, that sort of thing. not looking for a high end item.

features I'm looking for:
    rock solid
    folding
    robust locking mechanism
    fairly easy to sharpen
    have a spine that can take a beating
    suitable for riving small wooden parts
    relatively cheap

bonus:
    if it is on amazon with international shipping

thank you,
    You have a few requirements that are hard to give advice on. "fairly easy to sharpen". Does that mean you want softer steel? You could say every knife is fairly easy to sharpen if you know what you are doing. Nothing to do with the knife. Then the spine to take a beating. Does that mean you want to hit it with a hammer? Finally, relatively cheap is very hard to give advice on. What does that mean to you? Sounds to me like a worn out jointer blade converted into a tiny froe would serve you quite well.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-20-2023 at 7:37 PM.

I once was on a solo hiking trip and lost my spoon. I used my knife to rive material to carve a spoon. This worked, but I had to replace the pivot pin on my knife, which got bent.

In the shop we don't use knives for riving. More common is a chisel or a hatchet or a froe.

OP: Go and watch Paul Sellers do lay out work....with his Stanley Folding Knife....
    Or...
    Just about any Hardware Store has a version of one of these...
    Folder Knife, closed and locked.JPG
    Comes in about any colour, depending on the brand name...
    Folder Knife, opened and locked.JPG
    Sharpen? Just change out the dull blade for a new one....Knife will lock in both the open and closed positions ....

Usually run (depending on the brand name) around $10 USD...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-20-2023 at 11:21 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Fairly easy to sharpen means that there are no concavities or a handle that interferes with the blades contact to the stone (or makes it akward to sharpen). If it is a straght or lightly convex blade, i can put an edge on it. Im not set up for concave or hollows

I looked at those in person, arent they too flimsey?

Haven't had any issues with mine....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I use this Stanley knife all the time for marking out.

Like it a lot. But it has limitations. The flexible - thin - blade is great for fine line cuts, but it lacks rigidity for cleaving or paring. The folding LV knfe is better for heavy work, and I would use it to rive thin blocks for pegs.

Further, the Stanley knife is double edges, which makes it less accurate when transferring narrow dovetails. That when I use one of my own knife designs (now made by Chris Vesper) ...

Lastly, always have a Kiridashi. These are great for marking against a wall or fence ..

Regards from Perth

Derek