Thread: About to buy a MFT

About to buy a MFT

Hey all

Really considering a MFT to streamline on site install work. Unfortunately a lot of my work happens in an occupied home and being all over the floor is a bummer.

Any MFT owners out there have any advice regarding what to consider?

I own a tracksaw, router, domino, and vac.

Thanks!

The one place I've used my MFT the most was home improvement projects in our previous property, including wide pine flooring, trim work, built-in installation, etc. It was a great solution. Using the extractor with the tools make it reasonably clean, too. You can use the tracksaw and router with the MFT track for cutting and grooving. You can use the grid with dogs/stops with the Domino for good work support. The surface is large enough to make for a reasonable sized workbench/assembly space, too. Very versatile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you’re on-site you should probably consider FT’s MW1000 over the MFT or even build Homewerks MF-TC which is even more versatile.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Ok
    I'll bite..
    What is an MFT ?

Never mind, I looked it up

Multi Function Tool cart
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 07-20-2023 at 7:43 AM.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/.../495315---mft3

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Ok
    I'll bite..
    What is an MFT ?

Never mind, I looked it up

Multi Function Tool cart

I use mine at the lake all the time where I just don't have the space for even a dedicated bench. I love it; the only issue is that its really light weight (generally a great thing), but if you try to do any hand work with it, you need to back it up into a wall. It'll just walk around on you.

I had an MFT for a year or less. Generally, a very slick and portable work surface. I didnt find the flip guide rail system to be very reliable over time. It would ever so slightly come out of square on me. They may have changed this in subsequent releases(mine was about 5 years ago). I ended up taking the aluminum fence off and the guide rail pivot hinge, and went with a third party dog system. I found the guide rail dogs with two dogs in the table to be dead nuts perfect every time. Its a little more finicky lining up cuts than the pivoting hinge guide rail, but its more reliable. If i did it again, i would only buy the bare table option for that reason. Agree 100% with James that this is absolutely NOT a hand tools work bench.

I think the MFT is 'worth it' for the onsite carpenter. Unfortunately for festool, they released a product who's main/genius selling point is easily replicated--a perfect grid system of dog holes. I wouldnt buy another MFT for a woodworking shop. It is slightly undersized, and i would rather build that system into a FAT cart or similar like i currently have. Or, make a very large assembly table with a CNC dog grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Ok I'll bite.. What is an MFT ? Never mind, I looked it up
    Multi Function Tool cart

Actually it stands for MultiF​unction Table ,

though a newer tool cart version exists - mentioned in my previous post.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 07-20-2023 at 9:23 AM.

Hi Chuck I have an older Festool MFT (800x1200) that I purchased in 1998 that I found very helpful for field work. I've used it with numerous clamping systems to fashion all kinds of materials. Mine is fairly heavy and bulky so I transport it with a two wheel dolly with no problems. I am a finish carpenter/cabinetmaker and house remodeler so depending on the type of work you're doing a MFT could beneficial and give you more flexibility. I use mine with an AT65E plunge saw that I purchased when I bought the MFT. As an alternative to this system I suggest you look at Timothy Wilmonts site or you tube videos. He has lots of MFT designs.

I bought an MFT maybe 15 years ago along with the domino and a few other Festool tools. At the time, I wrestled with the decision to buy it or not. It was one of the smartest decisions made. It is one of the tools in my shop that I could not do without. I am a hobbyist and it is critical to my approach to woodworking. I converted an inexpensive handcart to a portable mft that I can easily transport to my daughters’ home if doing any repair work there. For me, the mft is indispensible. Let me emphasize that it matches with my approach.

Have a look at Dashboard tables (https://www.dashboardpws.com/) as well. I don't know what your budget is, but I have several pieces of gear from Rob and they are some of the finest made items in my shop. I built my own workbench and used his accessories using 15-35 extrusion. He was super helpful in the process too. I have an MFT and while it's great, Dashboard benches are a whole other level after having seen them in person.

Hey all
    Thanks for the advice here. While I do consider myself a furniture maker first and foremost, custom millwork subsidizes that line of work. There seems to be no end in sight of install work, some quite interesting. I will share a couple pics of some recent commissions below.
    I work in a collective shop in NYC, and while it definitely has its pros, a major con is sharing larger tools, which has ultimately led me to be more inclined to bring the tool to the work vs jigging up at the table saw. Plus I’ve always felt the need to be self sufficient, and my track saw and small makita plunge router have really given me freedom to work in that manner. I also opt for Japanese planes 90% of the time. Main exception being a LN 102. But I also love my makita power planer not to mention a wall of moulding planes, some of which were used on shared work.
    I often go to tools for working wood to chat with sally or joe and am always flabbergasted by the potential a MFT seems to offer. Planing doors to size, scribing desk, etc. Ive truly come to love onsite install work, many thanks to Toshio Odate’s writings. I will be using many hand tools, but currently I am more than happy with a couple timber frame saw horses and 200lbs of sand bags on the scretchers. A hollowcore door from lowes clamped and not many issues. At some point I learned to use hand saws vertically and racking has become nonexistent.
    I did order a table. My biggest challenge is inescapable disorganization. Systainers snd buckets have helped immensely with that and I believe this table will too.
    Any advice on dogs? What is the “parf” in parkdogs? Will any old 20mm dogs do?

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 07-20-2023 at 9:23 PM.

Chuck I would suggest you look at Peter Parfitt's you tube videos. He developed Part dogs jointly with Axminister Tools in the UK. Check out their site to view the complete line of Part dogs and accessories. After having been a third generation finish carpenter for over fifty years the ability to make good stable income is much greater in the custom millwork arena than that of being a furniture maker. See the thread in the business sector "Carpenter to the rich"to give you some idea of the possibilities. If you have an interest in Japanese tools then you should look at the website for Stanley Covington and Sons. Lots of information from a man with a great deal of experience. Nice work on the pictured project.

On the subject of "dogs", TSO has an amazing selection including the UJK products developed by Peter Parfitt. I agree with Randall that watching some of Peter's videos (pick through them since some are more projects rather than tool use) and see how he leverages the Festool system quite effectively.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    Update::

It rocks, so much. Nothing bad to say about it really. Definitely a happy purchase. One think I might’ve done differently is skip the rail guide system and just done for a Peter p
    Parfitt accessories kit. No regerts. (bad tattoo joke)

I believe that rail guide kit is just a new bracket support for the Festool brackets. So youd need both.

I want an MFT for the garage but dont have the space. When I get a shed it will open up some space to relocate workbench(current outfeed) and then I will build an outfeed table with Dogholed top.