Thread: Looking for hardware ideas

Looking for hardware ideas

We have a whole house fan and I am looking for ideas on how to hold up a piece of rigid insulation placed over the grid opening. We use a piece of rigid insulation with fabric glued to one side to make it look a little nicer. We used spring tension curtain rods, but this tears up the paint where they seat. I was looking for something that would let me put it up, hold it in place and have the hardware be permanently attached to the walls, so I can rotate the hardware, remove the rigid insulation and use the fan, when fall comes put it back in place and turn the hardware to hold it up. I though about upside down shelf pins, but not sure how they would hold up over time in a hole in a plaster wall.

Appreciate any suggestions. Brian
    Brian

if the grid is metal perhaps gluing some magnets to the foam - or packing tape over them? - would do the trick.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Put a wood frame around it and use what is something like a derivative of a "French Cleat" that you slide the frame into sideways and then have a clip or screw that disallows it to slide back and disengage from vibration, etc. Think "shiplap" for the cleats.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe a sheet of plastic would be just as good as the foam?

I made a box out of rigid foam insulation that fit over the fan from inside the attic, on a rope and pulley so I could raise and lower it seasonally, from the entry door.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Put a wood frame around it and use what is something like a derivative of a "French Cleat" that you slide the frame into sideways and then have a clip or screw that disallows it to slide back and disengage from vibration, etc. Think "shiplap" for the cleats.

Zclips?

Amazon has magnetic, foil backed foam covers. Im not sure there would be a huge r value to them but would kill draft.

I am not sure of the grid configuration, but how about a couple of bolts attached to the grid pointing down with holes through the foam. Hold in place with fender washers and wing nuts?

Sorry, should have posted a picture. Not clearance for a frame. I am thinking either some hardware on the side amounted to the ceiling 9clearance between frame and wall at one end is very small) or wall underneath the rigid insulation.

20230718_165214.jpg
    Brian

If this is a complete cover, the idea I mentioned will work because you can do the slidy-thing with the cleats the long way and a simple one-by frame should be able to support the load of a painted foam panel no problem. If you measure carefully, you can get some weather strip down the long edges to further seal for infiltration while still allowing you to slide it into place in the cold season with little effort.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 for using magnets — rare earth magnets.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Make a foam box all around in the attic. Hinge a foam lid to one side so it opens like a coffin. Attach string so it can not open too far. Air flow will open it and gravity will close it.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Make a foam box all around in the attic. Hinge a foam lid to one side so it opens like a coffin. Attach string so it can not open too far. Air flow will open it and gravity will close it.
    Bill D
    I'm not allowed on the roof anymore, pretty sure she won't let me crawl over the rafters in the attic. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If this is a complete cover, the idea I mentioned will work because you can do the slidy-thing with the cleats the long way and a simple one-by frame should be able to support the load of a painted foam panel no problem. If you measure carefully, you can get some weather strip down the long edges to further seal for infiltration while still allowing you to slide it into place in the cold season with little effort.
    I could do this as long as it is fastened to the wall. Brian

Velcro we use that stuff to hold signs and all kinds of stuff at trade shows

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    We used spring tension curtain rods, but this tears up the paint where they seat.
    You could put some small and hard ornamental plates on the wall where the curtain rods seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    You could put some small and hard ornamental plates on the wall where the curtain rods seat.
    Stephen, houston, I think we have a winner. Easy elegant solution without a lot of effort. Good for an old man. Found some self stick round nylon furniture casters I can literally stick to the wall where the curtain rods go. Thanks. Brian
    Brian