Thread: Skew info please

Skew info please

I'm looking for material on how to use a skew (and increase my skill). I'm getting ok with it but still get some catches on beads (when I can actually roll them correctly). I can plane cut just fine and getting ok at taking tiny bits off the face of a spindle without ruining the piece (most times). I'm using the Alan Lacer grind (I've tried a bunch and like that one best - i dislike the straight grind).

I've watched as much material as I could find (many times over) from the following:

Alan Lacer
    Alan Batty
    Richard Raffan
    Matt Monico
    Some craft supplies videos
    Woodturner21 on yt (amazing but far beyond my skill for now so I just watch him for motivational purposes)

Regardless, there's nothing close by where I can get hands on with someone skilled (Warren County, NJ) and I can't travel far due to a back injury so I'm limited to yt and that kind of thing. Anything anyone can suggest? This is a tool I really want to learn. When I first got my lathe, my intent was bowls (which I'm still really into) and some legs for the furniture I make - the skew was the furthest thing from my mind but i really have this impulse to become at least moderately proficient with it before doing anything else. Thanks in advance.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's incredibly hard to learn by watching videos Hours and hours of practice are much better. I suggest you go to the AAW site, find a club that is closest, then see if they have a mentoring program. Cover the mentors expenses to come to you and that'll shorten your learning curve. Finally, use green firewood for your practice. Turn it, then put it back on the burn pile, then repeat. Final option would be to do a remote learning seminar with a pro. You set up cameras so he can watch you work, and then give you the live feedback. It wouldn't be cheap, but all depends on how badly you want to learn.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-17-2023 at 11:41 PM.

As Richard says, hands-on instruction is best. Hours of practicing the wrong moves will just reinforce bad habits. "Practice makes permanent."

There's an AAW chapter not that far from you based in Layton, NJ. I bet you can find someone to give a lesson or two through them. https://watergapwoodturners.wordpress.com/

Ok, I punched in the address and Layton is 45 minutes from me. I'll load up on ibuprofen and go to the August meeting. Maybe I can meet someone that doesn't live too far from me. Thanks fellas.

Probably the best video I have seen on the skew is: "The Taming of the Skew" by Mike Darlow (3 hours long). It has been out there for a long time -- many years! I would guess that a lot of turning clubs have his DVD in their libraries. If not Mikes Web site is attached:

https://mikedarlow.com/books-dvds/dv...-the-skew-dvd/

Perfect, thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hill View Post
    Probably the best video I have seen on the skew is: "The Taming of the Skew" by Mike Darlow (3 hours long). It has been out there for a long time -- many years! I would guess that a lot of turning clubs have his DVD in their libraries. If not Mikes Web site is attached:

https://mikedarlow.com/books-dvds/dv...-the-skew-dvd/

Well, there are 2 different grinds I have seen for the skew. Some like it just straight across, usually about 20 to 30 degrees off of the side. The other has a bit of a straight edge, then a 1/4 or so round past the half way point. This is the style I prefer. Other than that, lots of practice. Work on the lower half of the tool only. Other than that, it just takes a lot of practice. I think Eric Lofstrom has a video or two up on You Tube. He is really interesting, and he uses the same grind I do. Also, look up Woodturner 21. He is a production turner and uses the straight across grind. If I had spent as much time with the skew as I had with the bowl gouges, I would be good with a skew. Catches happen when you come off the bevel.

robo hippy

Reed, I hadn't found Eric Lofstrom - thank you for that.