Thread: Purpleheart Floor Lamp

Purpleheart Floor Lamp

This one is my own design, but I borrowed some ideas from a picture I found and made some changes. I also had some help from the forum to hide a whoopsie on the base. The shade is made from heavy weight mulberry paper. Center rod is polished aluminum. Lights are GE Cync LED strips that are wifi enabled and full color and brightness control. 60” overall height, 14.5” diameter. Finish was spar urethane.

The segmented ring in the center, visible in the last picture, serves 3 purposes. It holds the staves at a 12” internal circle, gives the rod another point of support, and gives the shade something to rest on.

Bonus picture of my new shop assistant alongside the frame after varnishing.

Very nice! It has a very coo futuristic look about it! Well done.

Pretty cool looking - I like it! How stable is it? Looks like your assistant could easily knock it over.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Pretty cool looking - I like it! How stable is it? Looks like your assistant could easily knock it over.
    Surprisingly stable. My original plan was to recess the bottom and attach a cast iron lamp weight, but the assembly is very stable. The staves taper as they go up and there’s a lot of mass at the bottom. You can certainly knock it over if you try, but the center of gravity makes it so you have to push it 30deg for it to tip over. Otherwise it just wobbles like a weeble before righting itself.

Blog Entries
    Really nice. Love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very unique and nicely done. You're shop assistant is a cutie.