Thread: Grain filling when using Rubio Monocoat

Grain filling when using Rubio Monocoat

I understand that Monocoat "seeps" into the wood, so are there any grain fillers that are acceptable to use with it?

I see a product on their website, but it seems more geared towards floors than furniture.

I have a white oak desktop I was considering finishing in monocoat, but am concerned the open grain will result in it being hard to write on, etc, so want to fill the grain, first.

I haven't used it, but I suspect if you add a little additional water the RM product can be used like a traditional grain filler. Send them an Email or give them a call.

You are right to think white oak needs to have the grain filled if you intend to write on it. On the other, the traditional writing surface on a desk is leather. It's amazing how a pen or pencil will leave dents in wood from writing on it.

John

I've had good luck with Aquacoat under Rubio.

Thanks, guys. I'll get some Aquacoat and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Nevala View Post
    I've had good luck with Aquacoat under Rubio.
    Did you have any issues with the Aquacoat glazing over, for lack of a better description, the surface of the wood? That's what I noticed when I used Aquacoat under a typical film finish. If so, how did you deal with it? Thanks.

John

John, I haven't noticed anything like that. I have noticed it works better if I let it dry overnight before sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I haven't used it, but I suspect if you add a little additional water the RM product can be used like a traditional grain filler. Send them an Email or give them a call.

You are right to think white oak needs to have the grain filled if you intend to write on it. On the other, the traditional writing surface on a desk is leather. It's amazing how a pen or pencil will leave dents in wood from writing on it.

John
    Even a glass smooth surface would be a little strange to write on IMO. If you have a piece of glass, put a piece of paper on it and try writing. I think it would feel strange with a ball point pen. Something with a little give like another sheet or two of paper or a desktop calendar would seem 'more natural'. I imagine felt tip or non-metal tips would be better on glass-like surfaces.