Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear grade duct tape

Nuclear grade duct tape

In case you need the good stuff I found out Mcmaster-Carr carries nuclear grade duct tape. Approved for use in nuclear power plants. Not sold at Horrible fright.
    Bill D
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/du...ade-duct-tape/

That is the coolest thing I have seen today, dig it

Also glows in the dark.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Also glows in the dark.
    Not if applied correctly, in time.
    Bill D

There is a long list of specialty products that are produced especially for the nuclear industry. Most are resistant to high radiation fields and some are for other purposes such as extreme duty products.
    If you see any ty wraps that are a weird shade of green they are for use in high radiation applications.

I remember decades ago it took almost a year to strip off the old roof and install a new tar and gravel roof on the Bevetron at the lab. They could not be on the roof when the machine was running , too Hot upwards.
    Bill D

We do not use duct tape on the primary system piping components, or piping, in a Nuclear Power plant.
    It may be that duct tape can be used on secondary stainless piping, but it will not be used on primary system piping. We have very stringent rules for duct tape.
    We have very special "magic markers" that can be used on primary system piping that adhere to very stringent ASTM standards for chlorides due to inter granular stress corrosion issues..
    The most prevalent duct tape in a nuclear power plant is common, 3M duct tape, and it is never affixed to plant systems, or components.
    Get your duct tape at Home Depot, and save your $$$$
    Sorry to be the bubble buster.

Keith
    The Tie wraps are now QA, Cat 1. "TEFZEL", and they're blue. The "greens" have been gone for some time now. I liked the greens, they had a metal clasp.
    I have some of your boys coming up from Surry, and North Anna, this fall. Great Guys. Incredible skillsets. We'll be sending some "Northeners" down this fall. We'll be sure to send them with real pizza's.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-22-2023 at 6:54 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Gorilla tape is pretty good. I doubt it has a rating. This reminds me of hearing about an insulation project on a Nuclear submarine at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The entire vessel was vacuum bagged to hold the insulation in place while the epoxy was supposed to cure. Unfortunately the vacuum tubing was not rated and collapsed under vacuum. All of the insulation slid off before the glue cured because the tubing collapsed. True story. The gentleman who taught me a lot about welding was present.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    We do not use duct tape on the primary system piping components, or piping, in a Nuclear Power plant.
    It may be that duct tape can be used on secondary stainless piping, but it will not be used on primary system piping. We have very stringent rules for duct tape.
    We have very special "magic markers" that can be used on primary system piping that adhere to very stringent ASTM standards for chlorides due to inter granular stress corrosion issues..
    The most prevalent duct tape in a nuclear power plant is common, 3M duct tape, and it is never affixed to plant systems, or components.
    Get your duct tape at Home Depot, and save your $$$$
    Sorry to be the bubble buster.

Keith
    The Tie wraps are now QA, Cat 1. "TEFZEL", and they're blue. The "greens" have been gone for some time now. I liked the greens, they had a metal clasp.
    I have some of your boys coming up from Surry, and North Anna, this fall. Great Guys. Incredible skillsets. We'll be sending some "Northeners" down this fall. We'll be sure to send them with real pizza's.
    I still have some of the green tie wraps in my shop left over from the good old days. How bout you being a nuke, I thought I was the only one here

I was a QC piping inspector at North Anna in the 70s during construction. Next I was a Maintenance Engineer for the plant when it went online and created the in-service inspection program among other jobs. Transferred to Surry as a Construction Engineer for the Steam Generator Replacement Project, then back to North Anna to remove the Reactor Coolant flow splitter plates. My last job was jumping around the coal plants building elecrtostatic presipatators before i went to New York to work for Stone and Webster at Nine Mile unit 2. Lots of good memories!

Blog Entries
    To beef up the performance of duct tape try priming the substrate with Weld Wood contact cement. Gorilla tape + contact cement makes a very good repair for all kinds of things from canvas tarpaulin to the plastic hood of the J.D. riding mower (do not try it at the reactor). The University in our town has a research reactor. I got to have a personal tour with an Engineering Intern in the 1970s. I did not really know what I was seeing but the glowing water is an image I remember well.
    Best Regards, Maurice

What type of contact cement works with tape? Shoe Goo maybe?
    I assume that this is a permanent repair and would be too difficult to remove.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    What type of contact cement works with tape? Shoe Goo maybe?
    I assume that this is a permanent repair and would be too difficult to remove.
    I use Weld Wood and let it fully dry. It is very permanent. The Gorilla tape is so tough it can be used to create a fabric hinge. I have used the combination to bind the edge of indoor outdoor carpet. For indoor it has done a nice job.
    Best Regards, Maurice

hmm I wonder what else they have nuclear grade

Thanks for the tip Maurice. Should be real handy around my shop these days.

George, my information is out of date since my last day at Nine Mile 2 was in 1985.

I put infants to sleep in the Manhattan Project cyclotron hidden under Harvard University during the mid-80's when I was a resident at Mass General for external proton beam radiotherapy. Seriously hidden. Large vernier dials, loud claxons, massive lead doors. Running like hell to get to the control room when it was being turned on. One to two hours of setup for about a half-a-second of treatment every day for 21 straight days. Saved the vision of a bunch of infants with retinoblastomas.

Really wished I had the pictures I took from that. Lost long ago. They were very cool. Don't remember any duct tape. The original one was sent to Los Alamos for the Manhattan Project. It closed in 2002, but saved about 3000 kids vision.
    HCL_control_rm_1950.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvar...ron_Laboratory
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-26-2023 at 8:22 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.