Thread: Tools for Working Wood, treadle lathe

Tools for Working Wood, treadle lathe

Still in development. No pictures yet. They hope to have it by end of the year. Cost approximately $1500-2000
    Full sized with standard features like #2 morse tapers, 1-8 thread for chucks. 2 speed flywheel.

So what makes it special is it folds up. Unusual for a treadle lathe.

If interested sign up for updates. I'm interested.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...archterm=lathe

Thanks for posting this. Look forward to seeing it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a Goodell-Pratt treadle lathe with the scroll saw attachment. I made a new shaft to work with a 1"-8 scroll chuck. It's a real workout during a demo, even just when making tiny spinning tops. If I really wanted to turn, I'd prefer the pedal style used on the Barnes machines to keep both legs working instead of just pivoting my ankle. More horsepower out of my legs, especially after cycling 14,000 miles over the last 7 years.

I would think a treadle instead of crank would give better body position. I agree that cranks could supply a more even power. The treadle relies on the flywheel to smooth out the power. As Joel mentioned, using one foot would force you to develop your balance better. A crank would also require you to sit or at least use one hand to stabilize yourself. It will be interesting to see Joels design.

You would get the power of extending a leg if the treadle is a large scale. My Goodell is more like a parlor machine with a treadle like a sewing machine, but because of it's scale and my age, I sit while I turn on it. Same as shown on page 9 of this book. https://www.rareamericana.com/pages/...rsized-pattern
    Sure the flywheel evens out power, but a single leg drive cuts endurance by half. Not counting the fatigue of standing on just one leg. So sitting is not a bad idea at all for a wood lathe. This was overcome by large wheel driven lathes where you needed the apprentice to become the power source.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-17-2023 at 6:05 PM.

Never used a treadle lathe, but I do have a pole lathe that is absolutely wild fun. Made lots of stuff on it. Nothing impresses people more than turned legs on a table! In my case, it's not the leg that is treadling that gets tired - that uses very little effort. It's the leg you are standing on that gets tired. I switch legs periodically in order to give the leg I'm standing on a rest. I don't know if it would be the same with a treadle lathe.