Thread: Dave’s Shave No. 0 small compass shave

Dave’s Shave No. 0 small compass shave

I’m incorporating a lot more curves into my work and have been using a Stanley No. 63 with a Hock blade. It’s okay and I’m not intent on reinventing the wheel, but I’d like something a bit more refined. I tried the HNT Gordon small compass shave, hated and returned it. I also tried the Millers Falls #1 cigar shave on numerous occasions but never got the hang of using it or sharpening the blade. So I sold it to a fellow Creeker. I know Dave’s Shaves have a stellar reputation but I’m a little gun shy about ordering one based on my previous experiences with wooden (I have a Woodjoy flat sole that I find finicky to adjust) and curved sole shaves, not to mention the cost. I know LN makes a small curved sole shave but suspect it will be only slightly better than the Stanley/Hock I’m currently using.

With that novella-like preamble, if anybody has one I’d like to get your impressions of the No. 0 compass shave. Likes/dislikes, pros/cons, ease of use, learning curve, etc. Appreciate any input but please limit your response to only this shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I’m incorporating a lot more curves into my work and have been using a Stanley No. 63 with a Hock blade. It’s okay and I’m not intent on reinventing the wheel, but I’d like something a bit more refined. I tried the HNT Gordon small compass shave, hated and returned it. I also tried the Millers Falls #1 cigar shave on numerous occasions but never got the hang of using it or sharpening the blade. So I sold it to a fellow Creeker. I know Dave’s Shaves have a stellar reputation but I’m a little gun shy about ordering one based on my previous experiences with wooden (I have a Woodjoy flat sole that I find finicky to adjust) and curved sole shaves, not to mention the cost. I know LN makes a small curved sole shave but suspect it will be only slightly better than the Stanley/Hock I’m currently using.

With that novella-like preamble, if anybody has one I’d like to get your impressions of the No. 0 compass shave. Likes/dislikes, pros/cons, ease of use, learning curve, etc. Appreciate any input but please limit your response to only this shave.
    Steve, I was hoping you got some responses. I have similar interests. I did buy the LV small Preston reproduction cast shave. I did not like the finish - with some twist of the sole and returned it. I did get the LN small curved spokeshave. It has promise but I have not used it enough for a good review.

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I’m kinda surprised no one has chimed in. It’s hard to believe that nobody on this forum has and uses that shave.

I usually don’t hesitate to purchase quality tools if I have a need, real or perceived. But I’m really on the fence with this one. It’s really pricey and, unlike the HNT Gordon, there’s no returning it if I don’t like it (Shout out to Leslie at Heartfelt Tools). As I noted, I’m making do with a Stanley 63 with Hock blade. The addition of the Hock has resulted in a noticeable improvement, but it’s still lacking in certain areas, especially end grain work. I have and love a lot of LN tools, including 2 Boggs shaves, and I’m sure their small bronze round sole shave is great, but don’t think the difference between it and my Stanley/Hock is worth the investment. I’ll let you know if I pull the trigger on the #0.

I have Dave’s shaves, regular size and compass, and they are excellent spokeshaves in the right spots. I use for chair work mostly. I also like Gordon’s small shave in the right spots and I love the small bronze LN curved shave, likely my favorite, very versatile. I imagine it might be hard for people to comment here as we don’t know how you work and exactly what you’re trying to do except more curves. For what it’s worth, they are each good shaves and do different work to some degree. Dave’s are low angle, Terry’s is for VERY small detail work, and LN is just solid with zero chatter and can work in different areas, except not as small as the other two.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Kevin

I have the little LV Preston reproduction. It's pretty wonky out of the box; twisted and non-planar sole. However an hour with a mill bastard file and some fine sandpaper will have it trued up nicely. It's a nice tool.

Thank you Kevin. Your input helps a bit. As I noted, I’ve been making do with a Stanley 63. The addition of the Hock blade and a bit of fettling has markedly improved its performance, but it has its limitations. I build eco-friendly high-end pet furniture (dog and cat stuff, bird houses, reptile terrariums, etc.). Up to now some of my work has utilized gentle slopes, but I’m now considering much tighter curves in some of my designs. Even though I have an array of power sanders (including a spindle sander), I dislike sanding and avoid it if I can. I can achieve good results with rasps and files, but some sanding is usually required. Thus my interest in the possibilities that Dave’s #0 offers. However after purchasing, being disappointed in and returning the HNT Gordon small curved sole shave, I’m somewhat reluctant to buy something that I haven’t tried let alone even seen in person, especially considering the cost and no return option.

Overall I think Dave’s #0 could prove useful. My one question to you is how are the blade adjustments? I have a Woodjoy flat sole shave that I find very finicky to adjust. The are 2 sets of Allen screws (4 total) to set the blade; when I get one set adjusted to my satisfaction, it seems to throw the other set off. I won’t blame the tool, it’s probably me. I just want to avoid dealing with another frustration.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 07-20-2023 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Correct typos

Hi Stephen,

Sounds like you make some fun stuff! It’s hard to comment further on recommendations. I don’t find Dave’s to be hard to adjust, but if you did with your other wooden shave, maybe you would again? You really can’t go wrong with the small bronze LN curved shave. It’s not as small a curve, but gosh that’s a good tool. Certainly finer curve than what you’re using now and as solid as they come. I have lots (too many haha) shaves because each one works in different spots. Dave’s being low angle is great on end grain and I use it on chair seats etc.

Hope this helps a little. Keep us posted. Would like to see some of your work, too!

Kevi

I will chime in just to affirm Kevin’s assessment of the small LN bronze round sole shave. I also have the flat sole version. Previously, I had the LV Preston shave and was not happy with it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have more than 20 LN products, including the Boggs flat and concave shaves. I do not have either of their small spokeshaves. I appreciate the enthusiastic praise and don’t need to be convinced that they are fabulous tools. But I don’t feel the small bronze round sole shave is $150 better or can do much more than my Stanley 63 with Hock blade. If I didn’t already have that I’d consider the LN. The reason I inquired about Dave’s Small Compass shave is because a) I don’t have anything like it, b) I have very limited experience (much of it frustrating) with wood shaves, and c) it’s really expensive for a spokeshave.

I guess I’ve been lucky, as I can recall only a couple of times having buyer’s remorse over a tool purchase. In every one of those instances I either sold or returned it. Well, there’s no returning a Dave’s Shave and, with the limited response on this forum to my request for info about it, I’m not too sure I’d be able to sell it without taking a $$$ hit.

Blog Entries
    Looking at Dave's shaves for the first time it was noticed there isn't any information on the radius of the sole.

That would be important to me. Of my compass shaves the Millers Falls Cigar shave is the one for tackling a tight radius. Though it is a finicky shave to get working and adjusted to one's satisfaction.

Have you ever thought of making your own shave?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking at Dave's shaves for the first time it was noticed there isn't any information on the radius of the sole.

Have you ever thought of making your own shave?

jtk
    You can speak directly to Dave by calling the number on his website. He’s very accommodating. I plan on calling him again sometime next week and I’ll ask him.

Jim, at this stage of my life I only partake in projects I enjoy. Making a spokeshave, especially with a round sole, is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    You can speak directly to Dave by calling the number on his website. He’s very accommodating. I plan on calling him again sometime next week and I’ll ask him.
    Dave is a great guy! He’s a retired dentist from my town in CT and he moved to NH. Started making wooden shaves after taking a chair class with Mike Dunbar quite a few years ago and turned it into a business. I own and use a few of his shaves and they work great. Good luck in your search, Stephen.

Kevin