Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my Old Favorites is Going Away

Blog Entries

One of my Old Favorites is Going Away

Anchor Brewing, the Oldest Craft Brewer in the U.S., Will Close After 127 Years
    They brewed some of my favorite ales. I haven't had a beer in months, but I would love to drink one of their Seasonal Ales or an Anchor Porter.

All good things end eventually.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was very happy to run across AS in the mid-70’s. I went through that feeling of loss in about ‘72 when I think it was Falstaff who bought Ballantine Brewing and the first thing they did was cut the recipe of Ballantine Ale to about 1/4 of what it was originally. They did so of course to boost sales. They lost the people who loved it and couldn’t expand the market as they tried to turn it inot the same over carbonated swill that the big brewers have been making for…ever. I have a beer per day. Still love it in that quantity. More, no thanks!

A total drag to be losing Anchor. My favorite beer for many many years. -Howard

Yes AS was my first introduction to beer that was a cut above the standard mass-produced American beers. I went to my local grocery store and bought the last remaining bottles of AS to say goodbye. I feel that I should have stuck with it instead of flirting with other premium brews.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I've said for years that we live in a golden age of beer, but I think it's waning.

Hard to find a full bodied ale now, amid the endless IPAs and random sour brews.

https://reason.com/2023/07/15/rip-an...er-in-america/

I'm not so sure Cameron. They are the Godfather of the micro brew industry. They are a victim of their success. The industry is alive because of them.

But it is not too late for someone to step in and rescue them as Klaus Maytag did the first time.

I just bought a 12 pack today because I like them. I hope someone steps up to rescue them from BK. It's a heck of a brand.

I hardly drink any beer in the winter, but now after 3 hours in the garden, NOTHING satisfies like a cold beer.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 07-15-2023 at 9:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    https://reason.com/2023/07/15/rip-an...er-in-america/

I'm not so sure Cameron. They are the Godfather of the micro brew industry. They are a victim of their success. The industry is alive because of them.

But it is not too late for someone to step in and rescue them as Klaus Maytag did the first time.

The quantity of beer is not waning. I'm unhappy about what I see as the scene being taken over by self-involved gen xers. Point of sale on a tablet, it can take 5 minutes for them to deliver a pint of over-wrought, ridiculously named beer. A thriving local brewpub/restaurant was taken over by a microbrew from the neighboring county, and they proceeded to ruin it- floundering, closing for months, now limping again. There's only one place left locally where it's not like this, and they don't brew. The pioneering local brewer that had the best stout practically anywhere (IMO) died of COVID after a 30+ year run.

</rant>

I used to think Michelob, Lowenbrau, and Guiness were good beers. Nowadays, they seemed to have changed. I think Guiness is now pasteurized. Lowenbrau in the USA (says the web) is now an "americanized" recipe. Don't know if Michelob changed in any material way. Maybe age has changed my taste buds for that one.

Local stores only rarely stock Schlitz, which I remember as not bad. Rhinegold is not stocked, although I found a link to a place that sells a beer with the same name.

On the plus side, there are many more brands of craft beer stocked nowadays. I think Black Butte Porter and Dirty Bastard Ale are good. None of the IPAs impress me.

I heard on KCBS today that a a venture capitalist type guy created a fundme site for anchor steam. He plans to raise money to buy them out and sell stock to the public. Said he had 10-20 high net worth folks ready to go. I assume silicon valley types.
    Bill D.

https://omny.fm/shows/kcbsam-on-dema...ave-anchor-bre
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-18-2023 at 7:34 PM.

Here's a thought - why not start brewing your own ales? It's neither difficult nor expensive to do, and as long as you treat it as a chemistry experiment (i.e., keeping everything disinfected during the process) you will make some great beer. I only make one 5-gallon batch every 1-2 years for the past 25 years or so, as I don't drink much beer, but it's fun and the beer is excellent.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike, I did brew my own many years ago. I do not drink much any more. Haven't had a drink in months, so brewing would be wasted on me.

Anchor Porter used to be one of my favorite beverages. There is still one in my fridge. Maybe when New Years rolls around I will celebrate and crack it open.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In 2014, I discovered beers other than the common commercially available brews. A friend/coworker introduced me to Speight's Gold Medal Ale (a scotch ale) at a beach bar in Christchurch, NZ. Since returning from there, the only time I have bought the common commercial beers is when I knew our guests, family or friends liked a particular brew. Now, when I drink and it's not often, it is a scotch ale. Luckily a microbrewery across the Snake River in Clarkston, WA brews an excellent scotch ale, River Rat Red.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I have had a few Anchor Steam Beers. No other Anchors were present in the mid west. Reading the Wikipedia page about Anchor is interesting. Who knew that the Maytag man had his toolbox full of beer to keep him company while he waited for the phone tp ring? The brewing world been an interesting industry to follow. Sam Adams and Boulevard were a big deal 30 or 40 years ago for going up against the big companies. They and others started an avalanche of good beer. I just picked up a 4 pack of tall boys. Lush by Frost brewing of Vermont, 4 beers $20.01. Its good! I will walk a littler further next time I am thirsty to where the non yuppies shop and get some Mickeys for $4
    Best Regards, Maurice

I used to do a lot of business in SF, loved to stay downtown. But that got to be kind of unnsavory, so I started staying out by UCSF Medical.

That was just a few blocks from Anchor Steam. We spent many an afternoon unwinding in their tap room. I hope they find a way to keep that brewery going.