Thread: Grizzly Edge Belt Sander

Blog Entries

Grizzly Edge Belt Sander

Have an opportunity to buy this locally for $750/ Barely looks used. Grizzly is $950 plus $199 shipping plus 6.75% tax for a grand total of $1226. I have to pick up locally. Not sure I really need this tool but it is a great price. 220 1ph, and I have room for it. What would you use this for primarily?Grizzly.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

i have the Griz 1140 6" x 80" belt sander and find it to be one of the most often used machines in my hobby shop. Seems to be a fair price. I have considered upgrading to an oscillating model but this one works just fine for now. If you score on the sander be sure to get seamless (?? not sure if that is the correct description) belts. The ones I got from Grizzly have a slight bump at the glue joint and wprk OK but are a bit annoying. Good luck

We've had a lengthy discussion on usage of edge sanders here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ot-Edge-Sander

Many of the Grizzly edge sanders have a design problem because they basically use sheet metal for the platen. This sheet metal can become bent from shipping or usage. The fix is to bend this sheet metal back into place by force or hammer. Not really an accurate tool. However, it -looks- like this Grizzly G1531 benchtop model uses a thick metal design for the platen, based on the parts diagram (part #1 on the diagram):

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g1531_pl.pdf

I would examine the platen itself if you go see this sander. Even if the platen metal is only 1/4" thick, it's significantly better than just sheet metal. If you have the space, this is going to be superior to any other belt/disc sander. While it's described as a "bench top" tool, it is still really heavy at 200 lbs. I think it's a great deal if the platen is not sheet metal.

Tim, once you have a 6 by 80 edge sander in your shop you will be amazed at how often it is used. Don't hesitate, if you can afford the Grizzly sander go for it!