Thread: Rikon bandsaw question

Rikon bandsaw question

Thinking about getting this bandsaw --

https://rikontools.com/product/model...tg-14-bandsaw/

Rikon also makes a similar one that's a little more expensive with cast-iron wheels (versus aluminum) and an enclosed base, but I'm not sure that's important to me.

Thoughts?

Jason
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

That’s the one I bought. Love it! The upgrades on the wheels and adjustments while nice didn’t fit my budget. I only wish that it came with a miter gauge. I got a decent aftermarket gauge from Amazon. Also Amazon’d a cheap set of rollers for portability. An adjustable base marketed for washing machines shrunk to the smallest footprint was 1/3 the cost of a mobile base intended for woodworking machines.
    Joe

In my opinion, it depends, to some degree, what you plan to use it for. If you plan on doing regular resawing I would suggest the Rikon 10-326 Deluxe model instead. The wheels are heavier duty and that saw is much more suited to high quality resawing. The 10-326 is the successor to the 10-325 Deluxe which is the one I have owned for quite a few years. It performs well. With a sharp 1/2", 3TPI blade and the correct setup, the resaw results are excellent.

If you will be using the saw for ripping plywood or hardwood boards, or cutting curves with 1/4" or narrower blades, or just cutting out bowl or hollow form blanks, it might not make much of a difference.

I realize that the costs are quite different these days, but the 10-326 is just a better saw. The wheels are cast iron. For resawing, the additional momentum from the heavier wheels give better results. The 326 motor is a little bigger. These two features would alone make it a better resawing saw.

I have the 10-325. The only problem I've encountered - and I guess it's more routine maintenance - is bearings. I had to replace the bearings in the drive belt tensioner and have the lower wheel off now, the bearings are rough. The original bearings are shielded not sealed. The replacements are sealed from a local bearings and drives place.

I have the next larger version, the 10-326. I've been very pleased so far. The table is a bit fussy to get squared up as is the fence. Other than that it works great. Resawing goes very smoothly.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Ok - you folks talked me into getting the 10-326. Costs more but I’m sure I won’t regret it. ACME had it on sale, so I just placed my order. Thanks, everybody!