Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recomendations on a Lathe

Looking for recomendations on a Lathe

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new lathe and hoping to spend under 2k. I have been looking at JWL-1642-2EVS Jet Lathe 16" . Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Rob

That's a good one. I think Delta makes one in th esame range that you may want to look at, but I'm partial to Jet/PM.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I don't have a lathe recommendation, but I am partial to JET/PM. However, Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on Saturday, might be worth a look.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

A vote for the Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Torkomian
    I am looking to buy a new lathe and hoping to spend under 2k. I have been looking at JWL-1642-2EVS Jet Lathe 16"
    Robert,
    I've written a review of the Jet JWL-1642 for SMC waaay back when I first got it almost 3 years ago. I compared it side by side with the Delta Steel bed lathe and found the Jet to be the clear winner.

Since that time I've turned everything from pens and bottle stoppers to peppersmills, to large bowls and hollow forms. It's handled everything I've thrown at it without a complaint. It was worth every penny.

Back in 2001 I paid about $1899 for mine. I believe that you can get the 2HP version for that price.

Email me if you have any questions
    Dominic Greco

Robert, the Jet 2hp is a fine machine for the money....go for it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Robert,
    I have had a 1642-2 for almost 4 years now, and I'll second everything Dominic says. It's a great machine. If your budget is $2k, it's the way to go. The next logical incremental jump is to the PM3520 at $2.5k+.

Robert: Take the 10% sale at Woodcraft and go for the Nova DVR-XP.
    Ed

The one other consideration you might give thought to is that for that price you should be able to find a very clean used PM3520a or PM4524.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Another happy 1642VS owner.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Just picked up a NOVA DVR XP at Woodcraft...there were three people there who have used/own one and had nothing but good to say. 10 percent off was also important...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I have a Vega 1553. It's a great lathe especially if you want to do longer work.

I recently bought a Nova DVR. I compared it with two other lathes with roughly the same price. One was the Jet 1642 and the other a Oneway 1224. The Jet was just too large for the space I had available and the Oneway was a small step upwards in size from my Delta Midi.

The DVR is a good choice.

If you look at value then the Oneway 1640 is the clear winner. In a year the Oneway will have retained more of it's value in resale than any other lathe sold. Sure it's $3000++ and takes 3 months to get one. But the advantage is that you can sell the Oneway for very nearly as much as you paid for it anytime you like AND you get to turn on one of the best lathe made.

The Delta 16" has a history of problems. I have heard that Delta has worked out the problems but the Jet never had any problems to work out. The DVR had some problems, none of which were as serious as the Delta had. I hear that the DVR XP has solved most of those problems. The Jet never had any problems to work out. BTW the Oneway 1640 never had any problems to work out and you can get a 24" swing outboard whenever you decide that 16" isn't quite enough.

You have a terrific choice. It is very very dificult to make a bad choice!
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Torkomian
    Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new lathe and hoping to spend under 2k. I have been looking at JWL-1642-2EVS Jet Lathe 16" . Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Rob
    I suggest going over a bit and grabbing the PM3520

Thanks All for the informaTION

Thank you all for all the info on the lathes. I bought the Jet 16 x 42 and have it up and running today.

Cheers
    Rob