Thread: Fs - Lie-Nielsen bronze no. 4

Fs - Lie-Nielsen bronze no. 4

Early 90s version with the W1 blade and old style chip breaker, which many prefer to the A2 and the newer style chip breaker. No box. There are a couple of very minor dings on the tote and one on the knob as shown in the pics. Other than that it is in like new condition and the cherry has aged nicely.

As I have commented before, from conversations with folks at LN it seems that the in-house foundry project is taking more time than expected. So, it may be several months before it is up and running and even longer before any significant production will occur. Retail on the website is $415. As has happened with the 140 bronze, which recently took a $65 bump even though still not available, the current listed prices are likely to take significant increases.

$425 shipped. Payment via Zelle or personal check. This is less than you could get one delivered from LN IF they were available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-6.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	504233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	504234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	504230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	504231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-8.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	504235  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	504232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	504229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN4-2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	504228  

Left click my name for homepage link.

Final updated price - $410 shipped. It has a good home here and isn't motivated to move!!

I have one of these and it’s probably my most satisfying plane to use. The lacquered handles are shaped better than the newer ones, so you have a little more room, and the W1 blade leaves an almost mirror finish when smoothing. GLWTS!

Well, it seems obvious that I have over estimated the interest this plane should have. I honestly think the utility of this plane is greater than a new one. The old style chipbreaker is widely viewed as preferable to the new version as it is easier to tune to get solid closure against the blade and easier to adjust the angle of deflection. Likewise, the W1 blade, as Justin points out, is easier to sharpen and many feel will take a keener edge than the A2 blade.

The price is now $395 shipped!

And, a reply from LN posted online this morning by an individual inquiring about a bronze plane -

"There is still an extended delay on the Bronze version because our foundry is not able to supply us with acceptable castings.

We will keep your alert for the Bronze version on file for when they become available, but we do not expect that to happen this year."
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-17-2023 at 9:56 AM.

Hopefully someone will buy this so I don’t follow through with the urge to purchase.

Please someone buy it. Otherwise I will be forced to. It it as companion to the one I have.

Tell me about it. I can't stand it...

I am betting there will be a 15-20% increase in prices of the bronze planes once the new foundry gets up and running, which is obviously going to be 2024 from what we are seeing. At the present $415, that could put a bronze 4 close to $500. And, I seriously doubt there is another 4 in this condition any cheaper anywhere.

I am weak. I’ll take it so my other 4 will not be lonely.

Sold to Doug!!