Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need an NX60 for $500 if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm pretty sure Veritas knows the difference between vice and vise. It seems you don't since you used the wrong spelling twice in your reply, so a little help for you so you don't have to do a Google search. By the way, I don't have to use Google to check the spelling.

A vice; noun

• immoral or wicked behavior.
      "an open sewer of vice and crime"

UK English usage is "vice".

USA English usage is "vise".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    My wife was looking and evaluating with a running commentary, and then asked me "Which one do you think I should get?"

Me:

"Nope. Won't get into that. All I can tell you is this: When you walk out of here with a new pearl necklace, don't be thinking about the one you did not get."
    +3. This is brilliant. And true!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-14-2023 at 6:49 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In all my life I have never regretted spending money for things I wanted that were of high quality.

I have often regretted going cheap and buying poor quality things to save a few bucks. Often I later bought the higher quality item anyway.

For things like tools, my usual line to people who question spending $$$$ on a plane is, "I only have to buy it once!

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    UK English usage is "vice".

USA English usage is "vise".

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, it's from Canada. I'd think that would make the UK usage expected, but perhaps the Quebecois has influenced it to "Vouz" or some other French spelling?

...I can only assume in Australia the standard is "ǝɔᴉΛ".

I think the biggest difference is "crappy plane" like your big box store plane, and "excellent plane" like a LN, Veritas, or a well tuned vintage Stanley or whatever. If you get an excellent plane, you won't be disappointed.

That said, that NX is $500 for its sex appeal. And if you want it, by all means get it, but justifying it based on its superior quality and subsequent results over another very good plane is a fool's errand. I can't believe its 3x+ better than their low angle block plane (that's the one I have). But, I mean, I still want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles ThompsonWA View Post
    Derek, it's from Canada. I'd think that would make the UK usage expected, but perhaps the Quebecois has influenced it to "Vouz" or some other French spelling?

...I can only assume in Australia the standard is "ǝɔᴉΛ".

We have a winner !!

You played a bank shot off the Quebecois on your way to pocketing the verbal Coriolis effect.

My hat's off. Gonna have to start calling you "Sir".
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-14-2023 at 9:26 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Damage from hitting an Alaskan shop floor, no doubt. But there's several $ hundred worth of work in the iron, so buy the plane and toss the body.

All in good fun, Scott. I still love your OP.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    May be too late for this round, it is marked "sold."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    May be too late for this round, it is marked "sold."

jtk
    It was there this morning

Blog Entries
    It was there this morning
    Could it be Scott pulled the trigger at the bargain price?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Could it be Scott pulled the trigger at the bargain price?

jtk
    We can only hope, Jim, we can only hope.

I bought a factory new DX60 (D for ductile iron, US$229) from Lee Valley last night. I don't have shipping confirmation yet.

The NX60 (N for nickel) at Jim Bode was already sold when I followed the link, but I would have passed on it as I am not looking for another project.

OK sports fans.

That's the over/under in days between receipt of the DX60 and the onset of buyer's remorse.

Scott - friend - I was dead certain you were going for the NX. I was wrong.

I’ll add this post one more time (3 times now) as no one seems to be acknowledging it but Lee Valley does not have any NX60’s available. Unless you find a crusty one like linked above (but already sold) or a secret stash, there are no NX60’s to be had so the DX60 was the only real option here. Just saying.