Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need an NX60 for $500 if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’ll add this post one more time (3 times now) as no one seems to be acknowledging it.....
    Greg - dude - we heard you the first two times.

You are anchored to the inexorable realities of supply chain issues, and the real story here it the metaphysical properties of a block plane as a concept, not a thing.

We don't mind at all, but we will be neither bloodied nor bowed in our flights of fancy.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

LOL. I understand. Carry on and I’ll keep the realities to a minimum moving forward. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Greg - dude - we heard you the first two times.

You are anchored to the inexorable realities of supply chain issues, and the real story here it the metaphysical properties of a block plane as a concept, not a thing.

We don't mind at all, but we will be neither bloodied nor bowed in our flights of fancy.

Blog Entries
    I’ll add this post one more time (3 times now) as no one seems to be acknowledging it but Lee Valley does not have any NX60’s available. Unless you find a crusty one like linked above (but already sold) or a secret stash, there are no NX60’s to be had so the DX60 was the only real option here. Just saying.
    Greg, this was in my first post, the 11th post chronologically, in this thread. Admittedly it was a rather verbose post but I think others also raised unavailability as an issue.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’ll add this post one more time (3 times now) as no one seems to be acknowledging it but Lee Valley does not have any NX60’s available. Unless you find a crusty one like linked above (but already sold) or a secret stash, there are no NX60’s to be had so the DX60 was the only real option here. Just saying.

MMMMM, not so much. If someone had been able to make a compelling case the NX60 was a much better tool because of XYZ measurable attributes - then I have other money stacked and might have gone after one.

But there is no measurable attribute explicated here that justifies the price difference for me. I don't have corrosive sweat, and I am not hypnotized by the shiny on this one. There might be a weight difference between the NX and DX 60, but I doubt it is significant and the one reviewer I found who weighed both came up with the same number of grams for each.

The thing is I will know within ten minutes of opening the box if this is going to be "my" lifetime blockplane. If it doesn't fit my hand good it will be in the for sale section here same day and I will be looking for a Bailey #1 that will not be free or cheap.

What a great post by Kent Bathurst

With quality tools that are not highly specialized, you will be able to sell it - for very close to what you paid - if you don’t like it, use it, or out grow it….ever.

That has been my experience with the LV / LN bench, block, and bevel up planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    > Start buying smaller bottles of jojoba. You need to go to that store more frequently.
    ^^ This! And the DX.

Blog Entries
    (actually, the DX60 is slightly better as the body is less slick)
    For me, what Derek mentioned about the DX being less slick put my vote in the DX column.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-15-2023 at 1:25 AM. Reason: added quote and changed wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To bad this forum doesnt have a like button

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    .... If it doesn't fit my hand good it will be in the for sale section here same day....
    Not a good idea. This thread created a high risk of residual bad mojo - you don't want that to recirculate here. Like one of those scary movie curses which are transmitted by touch from person to person. The person who buys it touches all their tools, sells a couple, and...........

If one or two swipes show its unsuitability, wipe it clean and return it. I am certain LV will take it back. In fact, they are all probably hootin' and hollerin' while following this conversation.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You will like it. It will take a while to realize whether it is for you and your forever plane though.

And I disagree about the bad mojo. It will take a lot more than this thread to sully its reputation. Plus, nobody is disparaging the quality - just the price (which, if you read any Dan Arielly, actually increases demand for some goods)

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    And I disagree about the bad mojo. It will take a lot more than this thread to sully its reputation.
    I meant this one specific plane - not all DX60 - just the one he's getting. And if he doesn't want it, return for full price versus selling here.

Plus - your just never know about curses and hexes
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-15-2023 at 9:54 AM.

Curses are reversible, Kent. Amiright?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Curses are reversible, Kent. Amiright?
    Ouch

Any one heard from Scott whether of not the DX60 is fit for purpose?

Maybe he went to the hippie store and never came back out.