Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need an NX60 for $500 if you can.

Convince me I need an NX60 for $500 if you can.

I am looking at nice block planes.

I have a homestore block plane now, about $25. I have about $200 worth of time in the edge of the iron in the $25 plane body. If (when) I drop my current block plane on my concrete shop floor I can drop another $25 at the homestore, move my good iron over and get back to work.

But I hate my inexpensive block plane. It doesn't fit my hand good and it is miserable to actually use for more than 30 seconds at a time. The mouth on that thing is enormous, like an elephant; and the edge of the cap iron sits more than one half inch back from the iron edge, probably 9/16 or so. Not 5/8, but blade chatter is pretty easy to find.

I am looking pretty hard at the Veritas DX60. It is US$229 (online/available) with PMV-11 iron. Lee Valley has already done $200 of prep work on the PMV-11 iron, my next homestore block plane body will be $25. Upgrading to PMV-11 alone is worth the $4 price difference to me, so the DX60 looks like an absolute slam dunk and I should just order one tonight and move on.

But I keep looking at the NX60 in PMV11 with the nickel infused ductile iron body ($499/ temporarily unavailable) and I don't want to regret later.

FWIW my garage shop's humidity swings between 10-15% winter and hits 70-85% RH summer. I buy jojoba oil in the big bottle at the hippie store from freaky girls with dreadlocks who smell like patchouli and I sling the jojoba oil around like there is no tomorrow because I don't want to spend next summer doing rust removal instead of wood working. My personal sweat doesn't seem to cause pitting type rust in metal tools.

Given these facts I simply cannot see a reason to spend an extra $270 to get the NX60 over the DX60.

I get there are many other block planes out there that a lot of people like very much. I would only consider other block planes available with PMV11 irons based on personal experience with multiple steels. At 35 degrees secondary angle and up I like A2 just fine. I have a lot of O1 in my shop. For a nice high dollar block plane I personally want PMV-11.

My tentative plan is to keep the homestore block plane for use away from my bench (upstairs window trim), and reserve my (likely) DX60 for use on my bench surrounded by floor mats.

Can anyone convince me I should spend 2.17x as many $ for the NX60 with the nickel in the body? It sure is pretty, but pretty is as pretty does.

Thanks
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 07-13-2023 at 4:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    ....I have about $200 worth of time in the edge of the iron....,

....when I drop my current block plane on my concrete shop floor....

....Lee Valley has already done $200 of prep work on the PMV-11 iron....

....I keep looking at the NX60....I don't want to regret later....

.... the hippie store...freaky girls with dreadlocks who smell like patchouli....

....I simply cannot see a reason to spend an extra $270 to get the NX60....

.....reserve my (likely) DX60 for use on my bench surrounded by floor mats....

Can anyone convince me I should spend 2.17x as many $ for the NX60 with the nickel in the body?
    Scott - We're only a couple weeks past summer solstice, so actual night has just barely begun to return. I guess non-stop daylight can affect a person's analytic ability

I gotta tell you I loved reading your post.

Comments on the lines I clipped:
    > Never before talked with anyone who places a value on their time sharpening a plane iron.
    > If we wait a couple months, does that go up to $250 after more sharpenings?
    > The old saying goes "even a dead cat bounces if you drop it from high enough". How high do $25 block planes bounce? How often?
    > Start buying smaller bottles of jojoba. You need to go to that store more frequently.
    > You forgot to factor the cost of the floor mats. If sharpening time has a cost, then surely the mats must also be considered.

Back to your actual point:

I reject your premise. You are seeking an analytical evaluation of a non-tangible issue, and tossing the rest of us under the bus to remove your accountability from the decision. Nope.

My point:

My wife is a breast cancer survivor for maybe 15 years. When it was all past us, on one of our regular trips to NYC for museums, Broadway, and fine dining, we went to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue. She inherited a love of pearls from her Mom. I sat her down at the counter and asked the salesperson to please show us pearl necklaces. We ended up with 4 candidates on the counter. As you might suspect, at Tiffany's the prices start high and go up from there. The price differences are very obvious in the necklaces' appearance.

My wife was looking and evaluating with a running commentary, and then asked me "Which one do you think I should get?"

Me:

"Nope. Won't get into that. All I can tell you is this: When you walk out of here with a new pearl necklace, don't be thinking about the one you did not get."

And me? I went outside, and had a cigarette, standing in Audrey Hepburn's spot from the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was a fine day.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-13-2023 at 1:41 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Scott, there are wants and there are needs. From your comments, I take it that something other than your $25 plane could reasonably constitute a need. And, I agree on the PM-V11. In hope of not starting a controversy on steels, I will simply say it is my favorite edge steel.

But, the decision between the two Veritas planes likely comes down to a want. And, if one has the resources, there is nothing wrong with satisfying a want! It provides personal satisfaction, has an economic impact on the business provider, which, in turn, provides jobs for others.

If you get the NX60 you most likely will have no regrets. If you don’t you “may” not have regrets. Just DO IT!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Do it.

I have and love the DX. it feels perfect. Im not sure how the NX can be 150% better

Unless they are planning on producing soon, the nx60 has been unavailable in all forms as far as I know for as long as I’ve known about them (5-6yrs)
    So if you’re holding out, you may be holding for quite some time

Scott, the NX60 is one of the best looking and conceived planes ever made! It has been an absolute joy to hold, use and look at for 15 years

Read my review written in 2008: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-13-2023 at 9:21 AM.

I have the DX-60. It is a killer plane, hand-friendly and effective. I will never want another. I put my LN 60-1/2 aside when I acquired the DX.
    Just buy it.

There are a number of reviews of block planes on You Tube, and they are worth checking out. One interesting point made on one of them was about the Stanley cheap version, of which I have 2. The main comment was that they are hard to adjust, which translates to difficult to move the blade forward or backward in tiny increments. Other than that, there are many fine ones out there, and finding the one that is right for you, well, that is a journey, and if you have the money, you might end up with several....

robo hippy

I nominate Kent’s response for a Pulitzer Prize in the Comment Category!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I nominate Kent’s response for a Pulitzer Prize in the Comment Category!
    Yeah, Kent's reply was great. I'm going to try and remember this part in particular..."when you come out with your new pearl necklace don't be thinking about the one you didn't buy".

Blog Entries
    Interesting question Scott.

It reminds me of my years of hunting for a low angle block plane. My first was a modern (late 1980s, made in England version) Stanley #60 type plane. It worked fine, but wasn't the one. Next was a similar plane from the maroon era (cordovan?). Also a good worker. For years I sought a #60 - 60-1/2 from an earlier era. The older Stanley models have much more bed engagement. I always seemed to get outbid on ebay.

I wish I had purchased a DX 60 or an NX 60 when they first came on the market (pre PMv-11). However, instead the LN #60 was less expensive so it was purchased. It is a nice plane but tends to be a bit on the heavy side and is difficult for me to grip due to an old hand injury.

Funny thing is after many years, while out rust hunting with a friend he picked up an old #60-1/2 and asked me what I thought of it. It was marked at $25. After being assured he wasn't interested in buying it I bought it for myself. This was in Oregon so there wasn't any sales tax. Not long after that another was found in a different antique mall in Washington, had to pay sales tax on that one.

Those became my go to low angle block planes for most jobs.

Back to your question:

It appears the first paragraph describing the NX60 only begins to explain the price.

This is our premium plane, made from a corrosion-resistant material – a nickel-resist ductile iron. Significantly more expensive than regular ductile iron, it contains about 20% nickel and retains all of the beneficial properties of regular ductile iron.
    A consult with Dr.Google indicates the material can cost 5 to 10 times as much as other ductile irons. It is also tougher which means higher machining costs.

Currently the NX60 is not available. We are still living with the effects (after effects?) of a worldwide pandemic. Many links in the world wide supply chain have been broken. Some skills in material handling may have been lost and disrupted manufacturing on so many levels. Hopefully over time these situations will heal and we may return to smoother sailing.

Finally, it is shiny, that always costs more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We want what we want, so if it's a Maybach you desire, then that's fine.

However, the motivation for your upgrade seems to be aversion to the bad qualities of your 3-wheeled Yugo. There are many awesome vehicles in the middle ground.

The DX is still a Mercedes. You could get that AND the LV apron plane and still have a little left over for extra PMV11 blades to reduce your frequency of sharpening even further.

I think its an easy decision. The NX60 is not in stock at Lee Valley regardless of blade type with no indication of being in stock later. Simply indicates Not Available. Unless you have an angle on one somewhere else, it would mean going with the DX60 anyway.

There is that age old saying, "Tools do not the craftsman make". Here is a link to all the Stanley block planes and their uses. Must be one in that list you would like more. https://virginiatoolworks.com/2014/0...s-demystified/
    Old block planes are dirt cheap and due to their size, do not take forever to restore.

I have had and used the NX since it was first introduced. Advantages are that the nickel will not rust due to hand sweat and that is why I nickel plate many of my tools. They are easier to maintain and you don't worry about paint chipping. It will hold it's value probably due to limited availability. I just watched a Tucker vice go for $2000 and one was offered for $3000. I bought mine new from Lee Valley for $750 if I recall. Wish I had bought a second one, can't afford it now.

As for mechanical, the DX offers all the same features of the NX except for the nickel. The NX does weigh a lot and that sometime helps a little. It also wears me out quicker. As for size, I have small hands so finding a comfortable tool is important. Some block planes with similar features such as an adjustable mouth have a lever clamp that is so high hand my hand feels stretched. The NX and DX feel ok to me.

One more little point is that bronze bodied planes can leave a mark on the wood if they have oxidized any. Several passes will usually clean them up.
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 07-13-2023 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling