Thread: Bosch random orbit sander to vacuum

Bosch random orbit sander to vacuum

Hello, I have a Bosch random orbit sander that I would like to use a Festool dust extractor with.
    has anyone done this. Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Absolutely. I have a different setup but it would work for you too. I 3d printed a vacuum adapter that replaces the dust bag from the sander and connects to my vacuum. I also did that for my belt sander, my jigsaw. It works really well.

I have a domino and Bosch dust extractor, connects right up without any adapters. Assume the opposite in your case would be true, I'm assuming your looking to buy the festool and don't already know you have a mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Hello, I have a Bosch random orbit sander that I would like to use a Festool dust extractor with.
    has anyone done this. Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Just slip on the vac hose and get to sanding.

If you have the new(ish) Clean-tec hose end , you'll struggle with getting it on for a while until the rubber becomes more pliable.

Search for an adapter for your sander, they exist. You can also adapt by heat forming PVC (lots can be found by search). A heat gun works with patience. I've done larger pieces (4") in a toaster oven at 300F. Do keep an eye on it, get the PVC too hot and toxic fumes come out.

My hose is a little too big for my sander outlet. I slip it on and let it leak. Vacuum holds it in place. I suppose the leakage picks up some ambient dust.

I ran into the same issue of how to connect the Festool hose end to tools that aren't Festool, and did not have much luck with the set of generic soft plastic adapters that Rockler and others sell, none of which were quite the right fit for anything l have. Then I discovered something that really does work: DeWalt makes a whole range of adapters that connect properly to all sorts of tapered and straight dust ports and, by luck, these can be easily attached to (or removed from) the Festool hose by means of another DeWalt part, as described here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hlight=festool