Thread: Hoffman Dovetail Machine

Hoffman Dovetail Machine

Does anyone have experience with one of the Hoffman dovetail machines? This is the machine that Tom Silva on This Old House used when making picture frames. It looks like it would be a good machine for picture frames and face frames for cabinets. They're kind of expensive for a hobbiest woodworker, though, especially when you look at the auto clamping machines. I was curious if anyone owned or used one and their thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Derek

I have one that I was able to pick up used a while back. It does not have the pneumatic clamps or digital indicator… like any machine it’s a system that has its nuances that you have to follow to get a tight joint. The biggest thing to keep in mind is the bit depth determines how loose or tight the joint is. Once you get that nailed you are good to go. They include an aluminum plate to aid in the positioning of it. They are unexpectedly heavy and well made. It surprises me every time I lift it out from under my bench.

I’ve used both the portable and stationary versions - great tools.

It’s like any other tool - something designed to make a task easier, faster , or simpler.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-12-2023 at 10:35 PM.

I've got the benchtop pneumatic version that I use for mitered cabinet doors and picture frames. It is great for miters, because of how the stop makes precise positioning possible. Not so great for doing mid rails on face frames because the positioning is freehand variable. I had one with a laser at one point and still preferred pocket screws and spacer blocks for accurate mid rails.

I've seen these machines come up at auction for good prices, and if you have the space it would be a good addition for fast mitering. Mine lives on a rolling cart because it is so heavy that I don't like to lift it if I can help it.
    JR

I've not spent the money for one, even though I've wanted one for the last 30 years. Stocking an assortment of their keys was always one of the deciding factor for me, along with the limited number of mitered parts I make a year. When I saw them spline a crown molding at IWF in Atlanta decades ago, I really felt the desire to get one.

I've used the MU3-PD machine, they work great for mitred frames, fast, accurate, repeatable.

They also sell solid wood keys in 12" lengths, you use the plastic keys for the joint, set 3 to 5mm below surface, then glue in the solid key, flush cut an sand/stain.

A maple box with walnut keys looks very nice.........Rod.

Thanks for all the great info, gentlemen!

I just came across a tool that allows you to use the Domino 500 in a way very similar to the Hoffman dovetail machine:

https://www.woodpeck.com/mortisematc...s+MortiseMatch

This could be very useful for people with a Domino 500 who want a Hoffman-like experience. It is about 1/3 the cost of the entry-level Hoffman machine. I will take a close look at this setup.

Derek

Check Lee Valley's Domain Joinery Table. Very similar jig that's more reasonably priced.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I just came across a tool that allows you to use the Domino 500 in a way very similar to the Hoffman dovetail machine:
    https://www.woodpeck.com/mortisematc...s+MortiseMatch
    This could be very useful for people with a Domino 500 who want a Hoffman-like experience. It is about 1/3 the cost of the entry-level Hoffman machine. I will take a close look at this setup.
    Derek

The only thing remotely similar is that you bring the work to the tool.

Hoffman makes a vertical cut and is clamping mechanism in and of itself. It doesn’t add any real strength to a joint like a floating tenon does.

If the WP table tickles your fancy and fits a need you have in your workflow, great ; it’s just not a substitute for joint that a Hoffmann dovetail key is warranted. If all you’re after is a similar “experience” or “feel” then why not clamp your domino to a bench and save yourself even more $ than buying the WP gizmo ?
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 07-20-2023 at 9:38 AM.