Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight edge hanging hole

Straight edge hanging hole

Has anyone drilled a hole in their straight edge for hanging/storage?

Did it affect the accuracy?

I think hanging a straight edge is , correct. I made an 8 foot one many years ago . It’s quarter inch tempered Masonite with white
    Formica glued on both sides , almost 8 feet long and 4 /1/2 inches wide . Only one edge was filed and tested to be accurate.
    If I had one made of platinum, I would still keep it hanging vertically.

Agree, hanging is a good storage method.

My question is does drilling a hole in a steel/aluminum straight edge have any affect on accuracy?

Yes , makes it ‘more better’ ,cuz you can hang it correctly. It will NOT be distorted by a drilled hole at end. Lending them to a friend
    is the accuracy killer. If you do that ,don’t be surprised if you drop in unexpected and see your straight edge across two sawhorses, holding concrete blocks.

.former friend

I have a couple of straight edges, the longer one is 52 inches, and both came with a hole on one end so they can hang vertically. A hole near the end will not affect accuracy but if you drill a hole anywhere along it's length it probably would.

A very poor idea for a precision edge. Wood workers do not normally pay for a precision edge.
    Bill D

I’m guessing he ain’t talking about a $500 Starrett in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A very poor idea for a precision edge. Wood workers do not normally pay for a precision edge.
    Bill D
    The term "precision edge" is very subjective. It means one thing to a woodworker and quite another to a machinist. For a woodworker something like a good 50 inch precision edge with an accuracy of .003 inches over it's length can be had for less than $100. While not needed directly for use on wood projects it is almost a must have for setting up and maintaining woodworking machines like jointers and planers with outfeed tables. So you still want to take proper care of it which means hanging it vertically.

What does the National Bureau of Standards say about storing a precision straight edge? Someone on here must have access to or knowledge of what the NBS says.

Blog Entries
    The machine shops I worked at always stored them horizontally in a wooden box. They had money and space though. Don't see why vert vs horizontal really matters. A proper machine shop checks them for dimensionality on a regular schedule as well

The Starrett, etc straightedges are pretty thick and beefy. Like cross section of 5/8 thick and 1.5 inches tall if I recall correctly.

I have a cheapo aluminum one that works fine for woodworking and it came with a hanging hole. I just lean mine at the moment.

be good to know the what and why. I have a serious straight edge originally made for a tool and die maker. Hes not around now otherwise Id ask but may have past and forgot I did. Its hanging now.

looked on a machinist forum says hanging up till they get too heavy to safely hang.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-12-2023 at 10:48 AM.

I gave Starrett a call and spoke to a tech. He said drilling a hole in the end would not affect the accuracy.

what did he say about hanging

Is your question if it is hanging vertically would it stretch and affect accuracy or is it the hole will somehow distort the rule? If you're worried about it stretching, even aluminum has a modulus of roughly 250-280N. The force of gravity is a measly 9.8N and therefore would not be enough to even come close to elongating your rule in the slightest. You're more apt to lose accuracy by dropping it or letting your kid play with it

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    what did he say about hanging
    He recommended hanging as an alternative to horizontal (properly supported)