Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Organization

Shop Organization

My shop has just been completed (30x50x12). Most of the space is for woodworking other for tractor/lawn equipment etc. What I would love to see is if anyone could post some pictures of how they have their shop organized. Trying to figure out how to store things like planes, hand tools, screws, edgebanding, routers/accessories etc.etc. I really would like to do this once hahaha. At least one good time and then re adjust later but more tweaking rather than complete re arrange.

Also trying to figure out how everyone does their assembly tables/outfeeds etc.

I appreciate you all.

Thanks,
    Zach

IMG_1806.jpg
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

This tool cabinet made a huge difference in my 250 sq ft shop. It provides almost 100 sq ft of drawer space. It is designed to accommodate my particular tool collection plus hardware, with the most used items at convenient height. (not for sale)

Tool Cabinet.JPG

Blog Entries
    You can do a search for threads under my name. I have a lot of storage and organization stuff. Unfortunately the tediousness of posting only 2 pictures at a whack on SMC sometimes makes me unwilling to post a lot of pics. Maybe after the coffee kicks in.

McLaren Cleat Wall (1).jpgNew Shop at 7 mo (2).jpgNew Shop (481).jpgNew Shop (482).jpgMcLaren Plywood Rack (40).jpgMcLaren Plywood Rack (41).jpgNew Shop at 7 mo (12).jpgVertical Lumber Storage 009.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-21-2023 at 2:41 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are thousands of pictures and posts here concerning every aspect of shop design, storage, layout......

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You can do a search for threads under my name. I have a lot of storage and organization stuff. Unfortunately the tediousness of posting only 2 pictures at a whack on SMC sometimes makes me unwilling to post a lot of pics. Maybe after the coffee kicks in.

McLaren Cleat Wall (1).jpg
    Glenn, I noticed your taper jig on my "how do you store your TS jigs", and I see it again here.
    What are its dimensions (base only) Length x Width x thickness (and what material..ply?? MDF?)
    Thanks -patty
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 07-22-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Very nice Glenn. Lots of good ideas in those pictures.

One of my frustrations with my old 300 sq ft shop was most of the space saving ideas were beyond my skill. As I got better it was less frustrating.

What I did find is something is better than nothing and replacing as skill gets better is even better. Even 2x4 with MDF shelves work as long as you know you will replace them eventually. I just got rid of my last one of those a month ago. Right now I'm working on upper cabinets, something I could not have even attempted if I didn't have my temp storage and time to get the skillset.

My current slowdown is I'm trying new techniques as I build shop cabinets. So instead of 3 hours to put together a simple ugly cabinet I might spend 40-60 cutting raw lumber and getting the veneer just right and figure out how to finish it to a glossy shine, for a workshop, that nobody is going to see, ever. However, I'm having a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    One of my frustrations with my old 300 sq ft shop was most of the space saving ideas were beyond my skill. As I got better it was less frustrating.

What I did find is something is better than nothing and replacing as skill gets better is even better. Even 2x4 with MDF shelves work as long as you know you will replace them eventually. I just got rid of my last one of those a month ago. Right now I'm working on upper cabinets, something I could not have even attempted if I didn't have my temp storage and time to get the skillset.

My current slowdown is I'm trying new techniques as I build shop cabinets. So instead of 3 hours to put together a simple ugly cabinet I might spend 40-60 cutting raw lumber and getting the veneer just right and figure out how to finish it to a glossy shine, for a workshop, that nobody is going to see, ever. However, I'm having a ton of fun.
    When new woodworkers ask me I always tell them to use shop and garage projects for practice.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I built my own version of one of these to hold all of my small screws, random parts, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM

I built a waist-high cabinet on wheels with three columns and put a benchtop on it for some more workspace. I think it's been the most useful thing I've ever built and I interact with it multiple times for every single project. I'm considering replacing a couple of the "large" containers with some homemade drawers to hold some larger stuff, as there are a few of those boxes that are empty.

I also spent a lot of time making customizable 3D printed inserts for these drawers. (The original design wasn't mine, but I significantly improved the OpenSCAD script). The pics don't do it justice but I've made 1-2 dozen different box designs that can be customized to specific sizes, thicknesses, etc. and it's made those Stanley organizers 100x more useful.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4805351

Outfeed table is a solid core door over a cabinet that they used to have in department stores. The large drawers are electrical, plumbing, cabinet, & junk. No drawer guides. In use 40+ years.
    Two drawer cabinets hold fasteners, although there are also shelves with 50lb boxes, and a few things for very small stuff.
    The drawers each hold 30-50 sorted fasteners, visible and accessible with one motion, infinitely adjustable, cost $0, and take up 7 SF of under counter floor space. There's close to 300 fasteners, up to 5 lbs each.

IMG_4334.jpegIMG_4335.jpgIMG_4336.jpgIMG_4337.jpgIMG_4338.jpgIMG_4339.jpgIMG_4340.jpgIMG_4341.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    This tool cabinet made a huge difference in my 250 sq ft shop. It provides almost 100 sq ft of drawer space. It is designed to accommodate my particular tool collection plus hardware, with the most used items at convenient height. (not for sale)

Tool Cabinet.JPG
    Tom, what are the various heights of the drawers? Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

The single largest impact on storage/mess in my 28x40 shop was adding some kitchen cabinets and under counter units. I got them as scrap for $25 each 30" section.

I think what i have learned is to take your given space and layout your tools/benches. Once this done layout your lighting(unless its full coverage), electric, and dust collection. After this start with filling in under your table saw/benches, walls above your benches, and your drawers. After that start deciding on wood storage and what you have left to store. A new shop is a good opportunity to cull.

Im in 500 square feet so I store what I wont use anytime soon in my basement. I have a drawer bank under my tablesaw. I have drawers built into my router table, my miter saw station has a ridiculous amount of drawer space. CNC is hanging on the wall with a chest of drawers underneath. I have a large workbench with 9 drawers and a 10" high shelf under it. I also have french cleats above my tools on along the wall. Also have a 42" wide 24" deep 7' tall shelf unit with 7 shelves.

Menards plastic freestanding shelves.
    On sale for $48 right now.
    Sure it's light duty, but, for just being a home for a lot of light stuff you can't beat the price.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Cubbies with waterproof toolboxes. Each one complete for one type of tool use or job. For instance Jigsaw has a couple of jigsaws and all blades. Dremel has everything to go with a Dremel. I have around 140 of the boxes that come in two sizes, but only about 100 cubbies. I need to add some more. The cubbies allow access to individual boxes without having to unstack.
    Attached Images Attached Images