Thread: How do I tighten the nut on my DW733 planer pully?

How do I tighten the nut on my DW733 planer pully?

The nut fell off of the lower (larger) pully on my DW733 planer. This is the lower pully the belt goes around, as shown in the attached photo. How in the world do I tighten this nut? I can't get any kind of wrench in there due to the threaded rod that is in the way - and I don't see any remotely easy way to remove that rod. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elbow wrench? Maybe a bent flare nut wrench. Socket and a pipe wrench. use locktite next time.
    Bill D.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...BoCQB0QAvD_BwE

A Knipex pliers wrench might fit in there. If you haven't tried one, it'll look like it's just a channel lock clone that'll strip your nut; in reality, it's an incredibly useful wrench that can put a LOT more force on a nut than you'd think.

More simply though, would the "enclosed" end of an open end wrench not fit in there? It looks like you'd be able to sneak it in a little bit.

A crowfoot wrench might work. It will offset where a scocket wrench goes and will give you leverage.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    You will need two things...

A 6 point socket of the correct size. Take the socket and cut it down in length so you have just enough of the socket to match the thickness of 1/2 the thickness of the nut.
    This should give you enough room to sneak the socket in and address the nut.

No2 get one of the T handle socket drivers shown in the picture below. This set is from harbor freight cost is about $10.00 but you might get a better deal at an auto part store or maybe Walmart
    You may have to grind some of the drive square down to assist in clearing the lift screw..
    If that does not work drill a couple holes through the socket as shown in the sketch large enough to insert a screwdriver of decent size to assist you in turning the nut.
    If you tamper with the lift screws and move the alignment you will have a heck of a time getting the cutter head parallel with the deck later.

Good luck
    calabrese55

socket driver.jpgsocket sketch.jpg
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

To adjust a serpentine drive belt on a car I took a piece of flat steel maybe 3/16"x1.5"x 24". I then drilled hole at one end just big enough to slip a socket of the correct size through. Then I welded the socket in place. What size is the nut?
    Bill D.
    Looked like this but one size socket welded on.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/serpen...xoCKnoQAvD_BwE

They also make pass through socket wrenches that drive the socket with external splines. Thinner then a standard socket and wrench setup.
    Bill D.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/sae-me...ece-62305.html

They also make pass through socket wrenches that drive the socket with external splines. Thinner then a standard socket and wrench setup.
    Bill D.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/sae-me...ece-62305.html

Take the machine head off, or possibly unfasten the bottom of the threaded rod and raise it up out of the way.

Unfortunately, the site will not let me look at your JPG file. I found this, which seems to be the reason: "On May 2, 2019 we removed privileges to view pictures. This is the final change to let everyone know that we will soon convert to a subscriber based system."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Arnold View Post
    Unfortunately, the site will not let me look at your JPG file. I found this, which seems to be the reason: "On May 2, 2019 we removed privileges to view pictures. This is the final change to let everyone know that we will soon convert to a subscriber based system."
    Todd, a mere minimum $6 annual contribution will give you access to images, private messages and the Classifieds. Click the "Donate" button up above to accomplish that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...